Chapter 22 - Could this really be true?

Start from the beginning

“Damien. Damien Manters.”

I gave him a kind smile, of which Ryan thought was genuine. Damien could see right through it. While silence dawned over us three, I took the chance to get a good look at him. His hair was black, obviously the result of hair dye and not a natural colour, and his eyebrows matched. His eyes were a light shade of blue, which lead me to believe maybe he was Laura’s dad as well. The overall features of his face weren’t bad, he was a good-looking person. Of course he would be, you idiot, why else would your slutty mum make him a father?

“Well, if you’re not busy, we should definitely go out and talk about this over lunch or something. My treat.” He smiled widely, his pearly whites shining. He obviously didn’t need to use the phone, and only used that as an excuse to enter the room.

“You know what? We’re actually about to head off soon, I won’t have time. Nice meeting you,” I spoke, my words a little slurred. He persisted.

“Well how about I meet you there? I can fly over in a few days. I’ll fly my kids over too-“

“No,” I said abruptly, my voice raising. I recovered, giving him an apologetic expression. “No, I just don’t think I’d be ready.”

He lifted his hand up to rest it against my cheek, but I pulled away almost instantly. He shook his head and began to turn away.

“Can I ask one thing?” I interjected, causing him to stop mid-stride towards the door.

“Anything, Blair.”

“Why now?” My voice was shaky, and I had to clear my throat to return it to normal.

“I… I only just found out you existed.”

I was sitting on the edge of the bed, yet again going through the twitter mentions of me. I felt completely sad already, what was going through a bit of hate going to do? And there seemed to be more and more of it every day, each mentioning the same thing. That I wasn’t good enough. That I shouldn’t be here. That I should die.

I saw a splotch of clear liquid land on the screen of my phone, making the colours underneath it magnify and become the four main colours of pixels. I hastily wiped it off, drying the screen with the hem of my dress that was resting lightly on my thigh. Why did all this have to happen to me now? I had finally found something worth living for; now fans were threatening to take it all away? It was absurd, but I couldn’t blame them. They were so attached to the band; I was just getting in the way. I was a nobody, and I should have done what nobodies do. I should have refused to go on stage with Hot Chelle Rae, I should have just kept to myself.

“Blair? Are you okay?” Ryan’s voice pierced through my depressive thoughts. I turned my head away from his, wiping away my wet cheeks and running my fingers through my hair. I quickly locked the screen of my phone, flipping the cover shut and throwing it on the bed.

“I, uh, yeah. Hi,” I greeted clumsily. He gave me a certain look, and by then I knew he realised something was up.

He gave a small chuckle. “Hi,” He greeted back. “The bus leaves in half an hour, we should get your stuff on there. I’ll take your mind off of everything, I swear. I don’t want you going through all of this feeling alone…”

“I know I’m not alone, not entirely. But taking my mind of off it sounds good to me, I’ll grab my bags.”

I walked over to the end of my bed and heaved the suitcase up. My clothes were, yet again, packed in there so tightly that it was a miracle the zip didn’t break. My backpack was on the couch, and I flung it over my shoulder. While walking out into the hall and down the long corridor, I saw that Ryan’s belongings were at his door. He grabbed them gracefully once we’d passed and stayed right behind me the whole time. While he walked steadily, I stumbled around the place with my suitcases, only now realising that one of the wheels was stuck.