Chapter 9 - Meeting the band

Walking in the door a few hours later, I saw that nobody was home. Mum was probably out at her ‘I work when I want to’ job at the local library. The clerk decided they had more students borrowing books when my mum was there. I closed the door and slid down it, my back tracing along the glass panels and the wooden engravings. As I hit the floor, my head rested against the chrome mail shoot, making a scraping sound as it had been forced inwards from the package containing my iPhone case. As the thought involved my phone, I grabbed it from its spot wedged between the side of my bra. I flipped it open and saw 7 missed calls, and was surprised to see them being from Cass. I had one message from her as well, so I figured I’d see what was so important that she would want to disrupt ‘family time’.

Blair, I’m so sorry. I saw Ryan's tweet earlier… ur not gonna believe it. He’s dating someone!

I gave a short laugh and dialled Cass’ number. She picked up on the third ring.

“So you finally got my message? Took you long enough, girl!” Her screeching voice greeted me.

“Sorry,” I gave a nervous laugh, wondering how I was going to tell her this. “I was… out.”

“Out? Where, it’s Wednesday night. You’re usually eating chocolate ice-cream and screaming you’ll be fatter than Layla’s oversized cat, but you don’t stop eating.” Her voice was disapproving at the last part, which made me realise how silly I was last Wednesday.

“Sorry, mum ate it all. So, uh, what about family time?”

“Well…” Cass’ voice dropped to a whisper on the other end. “Technically I’m breaking 3 rules by calling you. First, I’m contacting a friend. Second, I’m using my phone. And third, I locked my door. But that’s not the point! Ryan has a girlfriend?! Aren’t you a little upset?”

“Not at all,” I replied amusingly. I knew it was cruel to play around with people like this, but I just couldn’t help myself.

“Blair… are you alright? Should I get you to a hospital?”

“Cass, I’m fine. What did he say on twitter anyway?”

“Well I memorised the tweet… it was ‘You know how we’re always looking for that one person that we’ll love forever? I just found her, and just made her mine.’”

“Aw! He really said that?” I knew what was coming next, so I took the phone away from my ear.

“Blair Everty! If I could, I would go right over there and slap the shit out of you by now! What the hell is up?! This. Isn’t. Normal.” If I threw my phone down the hall and it slid under the back door and onto the patio, I would still be able to hear her. Hell, if I threw it at a wall and it broke I’d be able to hear her from her street.

“Woah, calm down. You really want to know why I’m not upset?”

“Yes!” Cass practically screamed into the phone. I decided I should just tell her. With all her screaming, she’d get caught by her parents and I’d have to keep her waiting longer.

“Really? You truly want to know?”

“Blair, I will punch you directly in the nose.”

I gave a small chuckle. “Well, that girl he’s talking about… It’s me.”

*  *  *

After the phone call to Cass, where she said we ’needed to see each other ASAP -- also bring Ryan along’, I heard the front door open. I had wandered into the study while I was on the phone with Cass, and I was now sitting on the desk chair lowering myself with the lever then getting up to let the chair rise again.