Chapter 32 - The wedding part 2

Walking into the reception, I was feeling a little dizzy. I looked down at my heels, carefully trying to place one foot in front of the other in a balanced way. Ryan was at my side, holding my arm as if he was afraid I would drop at any second. After I was sure I could walk properly, I looked up to see people already on the dance floor. Even Nate’s grandparents, dancing like it was the last day of their lives. The rest of the family trailed in behind me and Ryan, as the photos had run a little late. I took my seat, thankful that I didn’t have to stand anymore, and picked up the little name card, examining it. A quarter of the way along it had two lines vertically placed. A gold one and a silver one. Next to them was my name. Blair Everty. I shrugged my approval and glanced back up to look around the room, which is when I saw her. She was standing against a wall on the opposite side, hands folded against her chest, but not in an impatient manner, more casual. She was wearing a dress a little short for a wedding, it wasn’t skin tight; that was a relief. It was red and strapless, a peplum dress. She had on red lipstick that matched the dress, and her eyes were done perfectly with silver makeup. Only one girl could do makeup as well as that. Her blue eyes slowly drifted to meet mine, and that was when we both screamed with grins on our faces. I leapt up from my chair lightning quick and bolted across the room, Cass doing the same thing. I could feel eyes on me as the rest of the people at the table wondered what the hell I was doing, but they’d understand when I was with Cass. Our closeness practically screamed ‘best friends for ever’. We basically ran into each other and wrapped our arms around one another.

“Cass!” I squealed.

“Blair! Oh God, babe, I’ve missed you!”

“I’ve missed you too!” I leant back in to give her another bear hug, spinning around a little as we were on the dance floor and I didn’t want to stand stationary in the middle with my arms around someone.

“I can’t believe it’s only been a few days, but I felt like a piece of my heart was ripped away,” I exaggerated, clutching where my heart was for dramatic effect. We both laughed and Cass looked at me seriously.

She said, “So let’s dance and talk.” Cass grabbed my arms and led me into the middle, keeping a hold of my hands and dancing like we usually did at concerts. The band that was playing at the wedding wasn’t just playing love songs; it was all rock and roll, obviously Nate’s pick. The base and drums pumped through the floor and electrified my legs; I felt the thumps of the bass throughout my whole body. It was basic dancing, jumping slightly off the floor and moving my arms in front of me like you would normally do at a high school dance.

“When the formal dancing starts, I am so dancing with you,” Cass said. “It’ll be so fun!”

I laughed, then said, “I don’t think Ryan would approve of that.”

“Ryan can have you all to himself later.” Cass rolled her eyes. “I only have today, Jamie asked me to go back on the tour to Tokyo. Are you going back?”

I thought about it for a moment. “I… I don’t think so. I’ll probably just stay here with family, it’s been a while.”

Her face saddened at the fact she had to face Hot Chelle Rae alone, so I tried to lighten the mood. “But hey, Jamie’s actually going to Tokyo this time?” I joked. It worked, she smiled lightly.

“Seems so. I think if he bailed again people would start to hate him,” Cass laughed.

“So, you and Jamie? Spill,” I ordered, grabbing her hands and bringing her closer to make sure I would hear her over the music.

“Well, the morning after you left I went to talk to him. Nash was avoiding me, and I was sure Jamie was too. But I approached him and apologized.”