26

mattia's pov
i had too many different emotions rush in and out my body.

i was sad yet angry, worried yet scared.

when i look down i saw blood all over my hands and i couldn't stop picturing her body in front of me. yes ive killed and had blood on my hands before but this was different.

i shake it off and run to my car to head to the hospital and see y/n.

y/n's pov
hospital

i heard faint voices and my name being called but i couldn't react. as much as i wanted to say something back and tell them i could hear them, i couldn't.

"take her to the emergency room," a doctor said.

"yes doc."

"y/n," i hear my dad say," i'll be right outside when you wake up."

and then i felt myself drifting to sleep.

mattia's pov
i ran around the hospital and saw colin sitting in the waiting room.

"she's in the emergency right now," colin informs me.

i nod and try to hold in my tears. "uhm is she- is she gonna be okay?" i ask sitting down in next to him.

"i don't know," colin replies. he lets out a frustrated sigh. "do you know who the shooter was?"

"no i don't, all he said was 'this is for maya' and pulled the trigger." i lick my lips and look at the floor. "i'm so sorry this is my fault."

"no, it's not," colin disagrees. "it's my fault for raising such a fearless daughter." he smiles.

i laughs lightly at his joke and then snapped back into reality.  "mr price, i'm angry and i've never been this angry before— it's scary."

"you have to let that anger go, especially in our line of work. anger isn't good for it— it'll blind your decisions."

"i dont understand how you're being so calm right now," i say.

colin straightens his back. "i realize that all these years i've been mad at the panthers and for what? some bad blood my ancestors had with yours? not worth it— all this hate. as a leader, it's my job to be strong for my fellow soldiers, and now i'm being strong for my baby girl."

"you're a good capo mr. price," i smile lightly. "and a good father."

"and you'll make an even better capo— the panthers are in good hands," colin compliments. "you should go home. take a shower, clean yourself up."

"but i wanna be here when she wakes up," i reply.

"she's not going anywhere," colin assures me. "you'll be back in time."

i think for a little bit and then nod. "okay."

as i get up i heard multiple footsteps running this way. mariano, mark, maximo, and natalie were approaching us.

"where is she?" mariano asks.

"the emergency room," i reply.

"you," mariano growls. "this your fault."

he tries charging at me but mark and maximo hold him back.

"stand down mar," colin commands. "this is no one's fault but the shooter's— we'll find him."

colin pats my back, "now go home mattia."

i do as he says and drive myself home.

mattia's house
as soon as i walk in, kairi alejandro and my dad were sitting at the couch looking at some papers.

they turn their heads as i open and close the door.

"dude mattia what happened," kairi asks standing up.

"why are you covered in blood?" alejandro cuts in. "are you hurt?"

my dad walks over and puts his arm around me, leading me to the couches.

"i was with y/n at the bar," i begin, "and someone tried to shoot me but she jumped in front of the bullet and it hit her instead."

tears started forming in my eyes again.

kairi covers his mouth. "is she okay? where is she?"

"she's at the hospital right now. in the emergency room i think," i answer. "i'm gonna go take a shower and then i'm gonna head back."

"i'll come with you," my dad says.

i smile because my dad has never been supportive to the cobras before and this was a big first step.

-

the hot water pours over my body, giving me a warm embrace. i scrub myself hard and see all the red water from the blood flow into the drain. it gives me flashbacks and i hear the gun shot and see her body fall over again. i choke on my tears, but continued scrubbing.

when i was done, i changed into a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants then walked downstairs.

"ready to go?" my dad asks.

"let me know when she wakes up," alejandro says. "we'll stay here and look after the house."

"i hope she's okay man," kairi says, patting my back.

"thank you guys," i respond, "i couldn't ask for better soldiers."

hospital
my dad and i head back to the waiting room i was at earlier with colin.

mark and maximo were asleep in the corner and mariano was staring out the window. natalie and colin were holding hands and staring at the floor.

"colin, natalie" my dad says, "i'm here to pay my respects to your daughter— i'm sorry."

"i appreciate that giacomo," natalie replies.

"if it were mattia in that position i wouldn't know what to do," my dad adds, "and thanks to your daughter, he isn't."

"you can say they're even now," colin smiles. "he saved my daughter too."

a doctor comes and out and sighs.

natalie and colin sit up immediately. mariano turns his head over, paying attention.

"so?" natalie asks, nervous.

"well, it's not looking too good right now, the bullet is very deep into her body. she might need surgery," the doctor says.

"then we'll do the surgery," colin simply says.

"right but, there's good news and bad news," the doctor adds. "there's a chance the surgery can go well and bad."

"how can it go bad?" i ask.

"if it's unsuccessful, her spine might be paralyzed," the doctor says quietly. "or she might fall into a severe coma."

natalie gasps and colin rubs his jaw.

"and the good news?" colin asks.

"if the operation is successful, then with time she will heal perfectly."

"so it's a 50/50?" mariano asks.

the doctor nods and turns to natalie and giacomo. "your call, you're her parents."

they look at each other.

.