16

mattia's pov
fuck, those files were important. my dad is going to kill me.

"the thief is long gone," kairi says putting his hand on my shoulder. "whoever it was has been in here before, i'm sure of it."

"you think we have a mole?" alejandro asks.

"no, all the soldiers were by my side, it's no one we know," i tell them.

"we should get some rest," kairi suggests. "the ball's tomorrow— we wanna look our best."

i nod, and the three of us head back to our bedrooms.

y/n's pov
the next day

the pain in my ankle has gone away, it was just a little stiff. i look at the time and it's 1pm, the ball was in 6 hours.

knock knock

"come in," i shout.

"hi sweetie," my mom greets me. "how's your ankle?"

" a lot better, just a little stiff," i shrug.

"great, i just wanted to talk to you about the ball tonight."

"i'm listening," i tell her.

"tonight, everyone's gonna know about your existence— making you a target. we're gonna finally announce our daughter, the future donna of the Cobras." my mom smiles.

"what a powerful title." i chuckle.

"you'll be the most powerful girl in italy." my mom places her hand on my cheek. "anyway, marino's limo will pick you up later. we're going separately."

"alright sounds good," i say. "i'm gonna go train right now—kill time."

my mom nods and walks out of the room.

3 hours later...

im growing fond of this gun i kept practicing with, i decided to keep it and maybe customize it.

"honey you should go get ready now," i hear my dad shout from the living room."

"okay," i shout back.

i head upstairs and took a nice, hot shower.

after doing all that, i walked out of my bathroom and saw a dress laid on my bed. i guess they want me to wear this.

ding dong

ding dong

before i could even put it on, someone rang the doorbell.

i quickly ran downstairs and opened it for them.

on the other side of the door was a good looking man with dark curly hair and piercings.

"i'm mariano castano— you can call me mar. you must be y/n price," he says holding out his hand.

i take his hand and shake it. "hi yeah i'm y/n.. you're a little bit early."

"yeah i know i just wanted to get to know you before we're trapped in a car together. it's a 45 minute drive."

"good idea, uh come in."

"thank you." he says walking in. mariano kept staring at me and giving me a look.

"what is it? do i have something on my face?" i ask.

"no, it's just... you're prettier in person, that's all."

i smile. "i'm not even wearing any make up."

"still beautiful," he chuckles.

my cheeks turned red. "okay well you can wait in the living room while i go get ready if you don't mind."

"nah, all good, take your time." mariano sits down on the couch.

-

30 minutes later
once i finished getting ready i look at myself in the mirror one last time. i'm starting to get nervous, it's not every day you go to a ball full of different gangs.

i walk down the stairs and go to the living room.

mariano looks up from his phone and eyes me from head to toe.

"wow.. you look.. wow," he compliments me.

"thank you, i'm sorry i made you wait so long," i apologize.

"nononono, definitely worth the wait," he replies. "uh ready to go? don't bring any weapons."

i nod. "ready."

-

throughout the whole car ride, we never stopped talking.

"i know this isn't easy for you, finding out you're heir the throne of a mafia," mariano sympathizes.

"yeah well.. i'm slowly getting use to it."

"i'm just really glad you're not an enemy, that would've sucked." mariano laughs.

"i know," i agree. "can i ask you something?"

"what's up?"

"this lifestyle.. do you like it?"

mariano shifts his body a little. "honestly, i'm honored. i'm the future face of the dragons. my team knows nothing but loyalty and family. we all look out for each other. if it weren't for them, i'd probably hate it."

"that makes me feel better," i smile. "have you ever met an enemy and think 'oh you aren't so bad'?"

"are you referring to mattia polibio?" mariano asks.

"maybe.." i admit. "before i found out that i'm a cobra and he's a panther, we were good.. friends."

"does he know you're a cobra?"

"i don't think so, maybe? he just never mentioned anything about it. my dad thinks he's spying on me."

"it's a possibility, we've been taught to be good liars," mariano informs me.

"but why do the cobras and panthers hate each other?" i ask.

"i don't know the details but all i know was that a long time ago, your capo at the moment had a disagreement with a panther. you guys had bad blood ever since— just like the dragons with the kingstons."

"mr castano, we're here," the driver announces.

"ready to introduce yourself to the world?" mariano holds his hand out.

i take his hand. "yup."

"i'll be by your side the entire time," he assures me.

i smile and we get out of the car.

.