Chapter 37: Mending

After finishing the video call on Saturday evening, Lexa spent the next 4 hours crying her eyes out over the break up, fighting the urge to call Clarke back and beg her to reconsider. The only thing stopping her was the fact that she knew Clarke was right and unfortunately, they both needed to work on their issues separately before they could even think about giving their relationship another try. It was clear as a day, but that didn't make it easier for any of them, as the blonde was pretty much a wreck herself.

It was a little after 1 am when Lexa dialled her mother.

Phone call:

Becca:
"Lexa, honey... Is everything alright?" she was surprised to hear from her daughter at such late hour, especially because they had already talked earlier that day when Lexa had arrived to L.A.

Lexa:
"Hi, mum..." she said quietly. "I just... I wanted to talk... Are you busy?"

Becca:
"I'm never busy for you, honey... Especially not on a Sunday evening..." she said, her voice sounding very soft. "You father and I just had dinner... What's the matter, honey?"

Lexa:
"Oh, I can call later if you'd like... I know you usually have a glass of wine on the patio after dinner..."

Becca:
"No, no..." Becca was quick to reply. "He's doing the dishes anyway... Lexie... what's going on?" she sounded worried, seeing that Lexa was reluctant to start talking.

Lexa:
"I..." her voice cracked. "I messed everything up, mum..."

Becca:
"Honey... Whatever it is, I'm sure it can be fixed..."

Lexa:
"It's..." Lexa sniffled. "It's Clarke... I hurt her... and she doesn't want to talk to me any more..."

Becca:
"Oh, love... it's just your first fight..." Becca tried to comfort her daughter. "Maybe she just needs some time to cool off."

Lexa:
"No, mum... She... broke things off... and I get it... I can't give her what she needs... and deserves..." Lexa spoke through tears.

Becca:
"What are you talking about, Lexa? You are a wonderful human being and you have a lot to offer!"

Lexa:
"I'm broken, mum..." she cried. "I was mean to her... and I... I called... I called her a cheater... and I knew it was going to hurt her... it's the worst thing I could've said to her... and I did it anyway..."

Becca:
"But... what happened? Did she...?"

Lexa:
"No, no... she didn't do anything wrong..." Lexa interrupted her mother. "I got jealous because I saw a photo of her on her friend's Instagram story... and she was talking to a girl... and their faces were really close together... so I assumed..."

Becca:
"Oh, Lexie... Did you ask her about it? What did she say?"

Lexa:
"I did... eventually... and she started explaining, saying she would never do anything like that... but just the thought of Clarke being with someone else made me furious... so I kind of... reminded her that she... already did it once... when she met me..." she said remorsefully.

Becca:
"Oh... I see..." Becca was starting to understand the course of events. "So she probably realized that you don't really trust her..." she concluded.

Lexa:
"Yes..." Lexa confirmed.

Becca:
"Well... do you? Trust her?" she asked.

Lexa:
"I... I really want to..." she answered honestly.

Becca:
"Honey... you either do or you don't..." she said calmly. "Has she done anything to make you doubt her love for you?"

Lexa:
"No... I mean... I was mad at her for not telling me about her ex when we first met..."