Chapter 11: Back to reality

Clarke's first day at work after her surreal experience in Paris started in the Conference Room at the Traumatology ward, listening to Octavia's presentation of a clinical case about a pacient who suffered a traumatic shoulder injury, treated successfully with Platelet rich plasma (PRP) after a lack of response to the standard physiotherapy.

She had texted Eva earlier that morning asking her to meet up for lunch after work and her phone vibrated just when Octavia was about to finish her presentation, so Clarke took it out of the pocket of her white coat and unlocked the screen.

Text messages

Eva:
"What the fuck happened to you, Clarke? I haven't heard from you since Sunday evening and now you want to talk?"

Clarke:
"I told you I didn't want to talk over the phone and that I'd see you when I got back. I'm here now, so could we please meet after work?"

Eva:
"I don't understand what's going on, really. If this is you punishing me because of our little 'fight' on Friday... that would be very childish of you, Clarke."

Clarke exhaled as the tension built up inside of her because of Eva's words. She was sick of that kind of condescending behavior and was shocked that her girlfriend didn't seem to know her at all. Clarke would never disappear on her like that just because of some stupid fight, she was not that immature and the fact that Eva thought that little of her was another confirmation that their relationship was definitely over.

She took a few deep breaths and started typing again.

Clarke:
"Eva, please. Let's talk and I'll explain everything. Meet me at the Trocadero Arena at 4:15 pm?"

Eva:
"Fine."

That was when Octavia finished her presentation, so the residents and specialists applauded and congratulated her before exiting the Conference room to go on with their duties for the day.

Clarke approached the desk and waited for Octavia to turn off the computer before hugging her.

"That was amazing, O! Congratulations!" she said as she stepped back and looked her in the eyes.

"Thank you!" Octavia smiled. "Did I look nervous? Because I almost pooped my pants."

"Oh, that's what that smell was," Clarke laughed and received a push on the shoulder. "You seemed very chill and professional, don't worry."

"Good," Octavia exhaled and started walking towards the door. "Do you have time for a quick coffee? I need to hear all about Paris!"

"Sorry, no... I have to go, Dr. Álvarez is waiting for me to do the rounds together and then I have to write two discharge reports before scrubbing in on a hip replacement surgery."

"Let's grab lunch after work, then?"

"Can't... I'm meeting Eva," she declined and Octavia couldn't help but notice the sad expression on her face.

"Is... is everything alright?" she asked as she touched Clarke's arm, stopping in the middle of the hallway.

"Not really, no..." Clarke felt that she wanted to tell her everything, especially after she saw the concern in her friend's eyes. "I can't talk about it now, but how about you stop by at the apartment later tonight and we can hang out? Plus, Raven has a lot to tell about her crazy night in Paris."

A strange, unknown feeling invaded Octavia's chest and it was almost as if she couldn't breathe while she was trying to process the information regarding Raven.