Chapter 12: Ricky

It was Wednesday morning and Clarke was enjoying a cup of tea on the terrace of the hospital's cafeteria when she noticed the notification light on her phone.

She was thrilled to see that it was Lexa, sending her a photo of what seemed to be an airport hallway with empty seats on the left and empty cafeteria chairs on the right. Through the windows she could see that it was dark outside, so she assumed that she must've just arrived to San Diego, and it made her feel special, knowing that Lexa texted her practically the moment she walked out of the plane.

Text message

Lexa:
"Greetings from San Diego! It was a loooooong flight. 😩 How's your morning so far?"

Clarke:"My morning just went from good to amazing, thanks to you 😉 It's almost midnight there, right? I hope the jet lag won't hit you too hard

Clarke:
"My morning just went from good to amazing, thanks to you 😉 It's almost midnight there, right? I hope the jet lag won't hit you too hard."

Lexa:
"Nah, it's worse when I fly east... tonight I'll fall asleep quickly, but I might wake up sooner, it's what usually happens when I fly west. So you can expect a few more texts from me today 😜"

Clarke was smiling at her phone while reading the messages and she was glad that she was alone at the table and could give her undivided attention to Lexa.

Before she could reply, she received another message.

Lexa:
"Oh, sorry, I didn't answer. It's 11:45 pm here, yes."

Clarke:
"I can think of other ways to keep you busy after your early awakening, but texting will have to do... for now 😏 I'm doing a 24-hour shift today anyway, so no sleep for me either."

Lexa:
"Mmm... how about a video call from the on-call room later and you tell me all about it? If you're not too busy, of course."

Clarke:
"Is this you trying to see me in my uniform, Ms. Woods? 😝"

Lexa:
"😳 Busted."

Clarke:
"I'd like that. Let me know when you wake up and I'll see if I can sneak off."

Lexa:
"Great! Looking forward to it 😊 Goodnight 😘"

Clarke:
"Me too 😊 Goodnight, Lexa 😘"

Clarke locked the screen and put away the phone in her pocket, keeping the huge smile on her face. As she was about to leave, she almost bumped into Eva who was going in the opposite direction with some of her colleagues.

"Eva... umm... sorry," she apologized quickly when their eyes met.

Eva didn't say anything, her face didn't show any type of emotion as she looked away and moved around Clarke to join the other residents who were about to take a seat at one of the tables.

"Yup, I deserved that..." Clarke said to herself in a low voice and nodded as she walked out of the cafeteria and took the stairs to the Traumatology ward.