We finished scoping the first floor, and then my mom spoke.

"Let's go upstairs," I tell my mom. "So far we have a lot of vacuuming to do." She was jotting notes down on a yellow notepad like she did for most of her clients, and I was a bit surprised that she was taking this so seriously.

The stairs creaked under my feet just like the wooded floor at the entrance.

Upstairs was a doorway to a bathroom and a bedroom. I opened one of the doors, and the handle fell off. I made a mental note to replace it.

Back through another doorway was a bedroom.

I opened the closet and took a One Direction poster from my purse to tape inside. If I would be stuck in this dull room tonight, I was going to personalize it.

Maybe I was a little old for a One Direction poster, but fuck it, I live alone now. There was no one to judge me.

They were pretty cute.

"Okay, first I think we both agree that we need to scrub this house from top to bottom," My mom said. 

Good idea.

We ended up spending the rest of the day vacuuming the floors, dusting the cabinetry, and scrubbing the sinks and all the other bathroom things.

The sun went down, and we loaded a few things in the house, only bedding, a table, and some necessities. We called for pizza to celebrate our first day of work.

My phone vibrated in my pocket.

It was a text from my boyfriend of over a year, Jake.

In high school we were the power couple. He was the star athlete and I was the head of the drama department. Together, we were unstoppable. And that's what makes our relationship so special.

Jake: how was ur day of cleaning?

Me: it would've been easier with u.

Immediately, another text came in.

Jake: yeah I'm sorry again that I couldn't help u

Me: my mom leaves in an hour, can u come over at 9:30?

Jake: that will be great.

The pizza tasted so much better knowing how much work we had put into the house.

"Okay, I'm just going to unload your stuff into the sitting area, and I'll be back around 10 tomorrow to help you get organized. I'll bring coffee," my mom said cheerily.

"Okay mom. Thank you so much for all your help. I love you," I said, and hugged her around her neck.

My mom did a lot for me, and I was always careful to show her how much I appreciated it. Even if I was fed up with her a lot of the time.

I yanked a board off of a window in the front of the house to watch my mom drive away. Back in the kitchen, I went to put the pizza box in the trash, only to realize I didn't have one.

I sighed and put the box in the sink for now.

A few minutes later, I heard another car pull up followed by a knock on the door. "Jake!" I said and pounced on him with a hug. "I've missed you so much."

"You too, Thomas." Jake called me by my last name sometimes. "Look at this, you've got your own place now. Is your bed set up?" He asked, his eyes wandering around the room.

I knew that he only had one thing on his mind, but that was just the way it was with him sometimes. I tried not to let it bother me.

"Maybe, let's go find out," I said pulling him upstairs. He smiled at the floor, his white teeth reflecting what little light there was in the house.

"First time in the new bed, huh," he said. I was already sitting on the bed, glowing with a huge smile of anticipation.

"Don't make a mess of the place, okay, my mom and I are spending a lot of time on fixing it up."

"No promises," he said, and then put his arms around me and kissed me until I was pinned to the mattress.

You can infer the rest.

-

"That was fun, but I have to go now," Jake said, buttoning his shirt.

"What are you talking about? It's only been twenty minutes," I say, confused.

"I'm sorry. I'll call you later," he said, and walked right out of my bedroom, leaving me under the covers.

I heard the stairs creak as he walked down, and the door slam behind him. He was gone.

What the hell?

There was something up with him, and I didn't know what it was, but now it wasn't just affecting him, it was affecting our sex life. He wasn't into it all.

I put on some pajamas and decided to go to bed, slightly pissed.

My first night in the apartment was a bit scary, but also exciting, because it was the start of a new chapter of my life.

A/N

So my last fanfic got a bit boring so I decided to write one with Niall (: This is going to be really great and I am so so excited to see where it goes.

Please keep reading because I promise you won't regret it (:

This chapter was a little slow bc I just needed to give some background info but it takes off from here, trust me.

I don't do that shit where you have to vote a certain amount of times for me to post a new chapter because I do this for ME AHHAHA

jk but that's so annoying. I'll update when I want, and you can vote when you want. I do really appreciate your votes though (:

I have big plans for this story yay!!!!!!

Please please remember to vote and comment because that's the only way I can get feedback. If you like something, tell me, if you hate something, tell me, if you have a suggestion, tell me. There's no harm and I strive to improve.

x