| 49 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 | Harsh words and even harsher thoughts

THE Fates came to take Luke's body from the throne room and down to the Underworld

THE Fates came to take Luke's body from the throne room and down to the Underworld. Freyja didn't move from her spot, barely acknowledging them as she stared down at her boyfriend. Her hands were still resting on his chest, waiting for him to breathe, but he wasn't. Luke's shroud rested beside him, as Freyja tried to calm her breathing from the breathless pants that she could just about manage.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw that the Fates held a cut blue string, the same colour as Luke's eyes, and Freyja wondered briefly whether Layla's string was in their basket. That thought made her panic further, as more tears welled up into her eyes.

She just wanted her mother. She wanted her mum to hug her and comfort her and tell her that she had done the right thing. That killing Luke to save Olympus was the right thing to do. But her mother didn't come. Even as Freyja's breathing started to become shorter and more breathless, Artemis didn't approach her. She stayed by the side of the Hunters, her face blank.

Hermes pushed through the gods, shooting Artemis a disappointed glare, before crouching in front of his son and by Freyja's side.

"Freyja. Freyja," He had to call her name twice before she looked up at him. "Put your hand on my shoulder, feel my breathing and copy it."

Tears welled up in her eyes again as the statement was so similar to Luke's but she nodded, pressing her hand to Hermes' shoulder as the god took deep breaths to try and calm her down. Apollo had also quickly hurried forward, covering Luke with a shroud so that Freyja couldn't look at his dead body.

"I don't-I don't want them-to-to-" Freyja tried to get the words out, between deep breaths that were choked with sobs. "Don't let them take him."

"It's alright, Trouble. It's all alright." Apollo helped Hermes lift her up, taking over from the other god as he led her away to sit on the steps. The column hid them from prying eyes, as Apollo pushed Freyja's head down in between her knees, rubbing her back gently as she tried to calm down. "Deep breaths, Trouble, I'm here. It's all okay now."

"Tell me I did the right thing." She managed to get out, looking up at her uncle with wide eyes. "Tell me I didn't make a mistake killing him. Please."

"You did the right thing, Freyja." Apollo reassured her. "You absolutely did the right thing."

"Then why does it hurt so much?"

"Because you loved him." Apollo hushed her once more, watching as Hermes said his goodbyes to the boy and then the Fates lifted him up. He continued to rub her back, sitting by her side until her breathing returned to normal. 

"She needs help!" Apollo looked up at the sound of Percy's voice, before putting his hand up.

"I've got this." He motioned her over, shooting Artemis a glance as the woman stayed still. He didn't know what his sister was doing but her daughter was in pain, and she needed to talk to Freyja.