| 47 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | The Underworld is darker than Freyja expected

"PERCY." A hand shook his shoulder, as the son of Poseidon woke up to look at Jake Mason, the head of the Hephaestus cabin. "Freyja's coming back. Someone spotted her, said she was helping an injured person. What should we do?"

Percy rubbed his eyes, before sitting bolt upright at the thought of his sister being out there and alone.

"Will, come on!" Will Solace left Annabeth's side, who was sleeping off the injury, that Ethan Nakamura had inflicted on her, and the trio ran outside to meet Freyja halfway. They would need his help to heal the injured person, that Percy was sure would be Layla.

The woman was almost at the hotel when they saw her, carrying Layla in her arms confirming Percy's thoughts.

"Freyja! Is everything okay?" The woman glanced up, before she trudged more towards them, tear stains streaking through the grime on her cheeks.

"I couldn't just leave her there." Percy and the others froze when they realized what Freyja meant. "She deserves to be burned in her shroud like Zac was. I couldn't let her stay on that bridge."

Percy's heart stuttered as he realized that Freyja had walked over five miles to get back to the hotel, carrying the dead body of one of her closest friends in her arms. Even in death, Layla Tribulatio was smiling.

"Freyja..." Percy trailed off, as Jake went to the other side, placing Layla's arm over his shoulders. He helped Freyja walk the body into the hotel, to where they were placing their dead for the time being. Will and Percy went in front of them, as Connor and Travis appeared to greet their sister and Freyja.

"Freyja! Layla!" They grinned widely, before Will managed to grab both of them and shake his head, holding them out of the way. The room fell silent at the sight of the fallen demigod, who had made it to adulthood against all of the odds, yet was unable to survive the battle. 

Freyja and Jake placed Layla down in one of the other rooms, covering her with a sheet, as Freyja sent a prayer for the woman to find peace and rest in Elysium with Zac. She briefly stopped in to see if Annabeth was okay and living, before continuing straight back out of the hotel and onto the street.

"Freyja! Where are you going?" Percy called, as the woman prepared to go to the Underworld, knowing there was an entrance in Central Park. She knew what she had to do now.

"Leave her." Everyone turned to look at one of the older hunters, who was shaking her head. Sierra knew that, as a goddess who didn't normally see death, Freyja would most likely be going to the Underworld to make sure Layla's soul reached Elysium. "She'll be back when she needs to be."

"But we need her here." Percy replied, panic in his eyes. He might have the Curse of Achilles and be stronger than Freyja, but she was a calm and steadfast beacon in every battle. He needed that, now more than ever.