| 35 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | Freyja and Percy find themselves up to their knees in shit, literally this time

PERCY stood by the fence, reluctantly looking at the flesh eating horses.

"Freyja, the horse said he wants to eat me." Percy called back to his older sister, who still looked as if she was trying to set the ground on fire with a glare. Percy gasped loudly, in indignation. "They're calling me seafood!"

Flies began to buzz around her head as she turned back to Percy, and sighed, before walking over to him.

"I should not have lost my temper." She murmured, before assessing the field as Percy sidled up to the other side of her.

"So why did you?" Percy asked, as he picked up a rusting shovel and gave it an experimental dig into the mud. Freyja began to calculate how much time they actually had, and where the river was in relation to the field.

"Come on, we should walk to the river." Freyja set off, as Percy followed along behind her like an overgrown duckling. "I guess..."

She trailed off and Percy saw an unfamiliar emotion on his sister's face. She genuinely looked tired. Whenever he had seen her, she had always looked so strong and unwavering, no sign of fatigue or stress on her face. But now, she just looked exhausted.

"You guess what?"

"I guess that even though I'd been told that Luke was evil, I still held out hope that it was all a lie. That he was good." Freyja licked her lips, before rolling her eyes and resting a hand on her sword. "But it doesn't matter now. All that's left to do is to stop him."

"Do you think you can stop him?" Percy asked, watching her with narrowed eyes. Thalia had tried to kill him and failed, Annabeth had tried to stop him and failed, he tried to stop Luke and failed.

"Yes." Freyja's grip on Epilogue tightened. "I don't have a choice. I'm the only one who can."

They had reached the river by that point, and Freyja stopped talking to stare at naiad who was waiting for them.

"On no, you two don't." She glared, her arms crossed.

"Look, we just came to ask..." Percy began nicely.

"I know who you are. And I know what you want. And the answer is no!" She glared at Freyja, who was nodding along. "I'm not going to have my river used again to clean that filthy stable."

"But..." Percy tried to argue, as he shared a look with Freyja.

"Oh save it, sea boy. You ocean-god types always think you're so much more important than some little river, don't you? Well let me tell you, this naiad is not going to be pushed around just because your daddy is Poseidon." The naiad began her rant about the ecosystem and the freshwater pollution that the sewage would cause.