| 37 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | Freyja finally puts a name to the feeling she'd been burying deep in her heart - lonliness

SHADOW travelling was Freyja's least favourite method of travel. In fact, she'd take Layla's gods awful driving (as described by Zac) over this. She groaned, rubbing her head as she reappeared in Hades' palace, looking at her godfather with a frown.

"Godfather." She bowed her head, before accepting the nectar handed to her. Freyja sighed in relief as her headache abated. "Is this about your son? I didn't know you had one."

"I'd prefer that you had never known about him but, alas, that is not what I called you here to talk about." Hades smoothed out his robes, looking down at the young goddess. "There's a problem."

"There's always a problem."

"This one is more severe."

"What?"

"Luke Castellan." Freyja froze, looking up from where she'd been tying her shoe to stare at Hades. 

"What?" Her voice was breathy, a strange feeling welling in her stomach and throat that Freyja recognised as panic. "What are you talking about? Is he dead?"

"No. He's going to bathe in the River Styx."

"He wouldn't do that." Freyja protested. The Luke she knew would not do that. 

"Freyja." Hades cut her off, shooting her a sorrowful look. "I hate that I have to ask you this, and I wouldn't if I had any other choice but he needs to be stopped. I've been told that I'm not allowed to kill him, which means that you are my last hope here."

"No, no, no." Freyja shook her head, fingers digging into the dark strands of her hair as she began to pace.

"If he gets the curse of Achilles, it would make him invincible." Hades continued over Freyja's protest, watching the goddess pace and panic. "It would make this war unfair. People would be hurt. Innocent people."

"Don't ask me to do this."

"Please, Freyja. I need you to do this." She turned, finally meeting Hades' eyes as her resolve crumbled and she pulled her parka and circlet off. Her heart protested, begging her not to interfere with Luke, telling her that it was a bad idea but her brain kept her on autopilot as she placed Epilogue down and grabbed her bow.

She had to do this. She was a goddess, the daughter of Artemis and she was the gods warrior. Freyja couldn't argue with them. She had to try and stop Luke.

The shadows curled around her body as she walked, pulling her into the shadows and setting her down on the banks of the River Styx as Freyja's emotional side tried to pull her back. But as much as it struggled, Freyja continued. She was a goddess. She had to follow the rules of her elders.