| 34 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 | In which Freyja decides that murder is definitely the answer to all of her problems

AFTER a long night filled with running, sleeping in a tomb and finding that they were underneath a cattle grid, having a stare off with a cow. Freyja raised an unamused eyebrow at the cherry red cow mooed in her face and then drooled between the gaps. She pulled a face at the feeling, before shaking the drool off of her armour.

Tyson stepped forward, tugging the cattle grid off of its holds and throwing it off to the side as Freyja pulled a face.

"I wonder where we are...?" Annabeth muttered aloud. Freyja jumped up, tugging herself out of the hole and looking around at the cows surrounding them.

"These are the cattle of the sun. They're sacred to Apollo." Freyja explained, as Annabeth sent her a sharp glare. Apparently, the question had been rhetorical.

The four younger children joined her, looking out across the peaceful scene of the ranch ahead of them. It was calm, a light breeze blowing through the trees and grasses. Freyja took a deep breath, wondering if she would ever be able to experience a calm like this, though she knew it was a fool's dream.

The Fates would never allow that.

"Listen." Freyja turned back, as Grover spoke, looking off into the distance as she heard the sounds of dogs braying. It got louder and louder, before a two headed dog burst from the bush. It looked like a greyhound, with the same sleek brown fur and long legs, but the two heads gave it an off feel.

"Bad Janus dog!" Tyson cried, scurrying behind Freyja and Percy.

"Arf!" Grover waved his hand, as the dog snapped and Freyja pulled him back so that his whiskers didn't get bitten off.

The owner appeared moments later, dressed in plaid with a cowboy hat and a ripped off leather jacket. His wooden club was about the size of a nuclear warhead, with spikes bristling on the end of it and Freyja didn't really fancy her chances against that.

"Heel, Orthus." The dog reluctantly stopped growling and went to sit at his master's feet.

"What've we got here? Cattle rustlers?" Freyja raised an unamused eyebrow. Her? Cattle rustling? Her mother would actually kill her should that be the case.

"Just travellers." Annabeth smiled, before opening her mouth again but Freyja cut her off. She was the goddess of secrets and lies, thus this was her domain.

"We're explorers actually, sent to look around and see what's going on." Annabeth shot her a dark glare, not liking being interrupted.

"Half-bloods, eh?" Freyja sighed. Her plans to lie were ruined.

"I'm Annabeth, daughter of Athena. This is Freyja and Percy, a hunter of Artemis and children of Poseidon. Grover the satyr. Tyson, the..."

"Cyclops. I can see that." The man glared at Freyja and Percy, daring them to try and talk once more. "And I know half-bloods when I see them. I'm Eurytion, the cowheard of this here ranch. Son of Ares. You came through the Labyrinth like the other one, I reckon?"