| 38 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 | Freyja realises that she's slowly losing her mind, piece by piece

"WHAT the hell?" Freyja muttered, appearing in Hades' palace. She glared at her godfather, picking her puffer jacket and circlet. "What the actual hell?"

Hades glanced up at his goddaughter, who looked perplexed.

"What is it?"

"Why didn't you stop him? Stop Luke from jumping into the River, that is?" Hades placed his pen down, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion

"I couldn't, you know that."

"What do you mean 'couldn't'?" Freyja's eyes had narrowed. "You're lying to me. Why are you lying to me?"

"I'm not lying."

"You're telling the Goddess of Secrets and Lies that she can't detect a lie?" Freyja couldn't believe this.

"I'm saying perhaps your emotions are getting in the way of your abilities."

"That's not how it works." Freyja argued back. "My abilities work well with even if I'm emotional. That was one of the tests I did when I was younger. My mother demanded it. My abilities work even if I've gone clinically insane! So don't try and tell me what my abilities can and can't do."

"Look, I couldn't have stopped Luke."

"Stop!" Freyja cried, glaring at the man. "Stop lying to me! You could have stopped him but you didn't. Why did you need me?"

Hades' face changed and in that moment, Freyja learnt everything that she shouldn't have learnt, her shoulders falling as the world came crashing in around her.

"They still don't trust me." She muttered, shaking her head and backing away from Hades. "None of you trust me. You were trying to see whether or not I would run back to Luke the moment that I saw him. Even though I told you that I would be on your side."

"Freyja, it's not what you think..."

"Not what I think? Not what I think!" The girl's voice grew to a crescendo, annoyance growing in her as they continued to try and lie to her. "It's exactly what I think. You, who was so annoyed when Zeus forced me into that oath all those years ago, have teamed up with him and Hera, and who knows how many others, to test whether or not I'll still be loyal to you!"

"Look, it's not..."

"The one time, the one singular time, that I asked you all to have some faith in me, you don't trust me. You don't believe me and then you decide to test me and taunt me with the guy I love, reminding me every day that I can not go back to him!" Freyja took a deep breath, trying not to let her emotions rush over her. "You don't trust me. None of you think that I'll protect my family."

"Freyja! That's enough!" Hades called, staring at his distraught goddaughter. "We're only trying to protect you. That's it."

"Protect me? You're flaunting the man that I love in front of me, letting him take the curse of Achilles and risking everything just to try and see whether or not I'll stay loyal to the gods!" Freyja ran her hand through her hair.

"Zeus wanted to make sure. You're powerful, Freyja, and if you fought for Luke then it would be catastrophic. Look at the bigger picture."

"I am looking at the bigger picture." Freyja spat. "I'm watching my family use me like a pawn and keep things from me. I'm supposed to be one of your best warriors, yet you refuse to tell me the full reason behind anything. None of you trust me, or seem to believe me at all."

"We trust you, Freyja. We do. We just have to be certain." Hades spoke softly, resting a hand on his niece's shoulders. "We don't want to lose you."

Freyja couldn't find a lie in that statement, but still she backed away.

"I want to go home." She mumbled, shaking her head. "I want to go home. Let me go."

"Okay, I'll let you go. It's alright." Hades was treating her like a wild animal, causing Freyja to curl in on herself further. "You're going home."

☾☼☽

Sitting in a clearing in the forest, Freyja continued to pace as someone appeared from the bushes behind her.

"I thought I felt anger emanating from over here." A cheerful voice hit her ears, as Jason Grace appeared from between the trees. He had grown into his armor over the years, standing taller than Freyja, but he still had the same blond hair and look of awe in his eyes whenever Freyja saw him. She'd ignored her grandmother's words, seeing Jason as often as she could.

"Hiya, trouble." Jason, noticing that Freyja was looking upset, stabbed his sword into the ground as he went over and wrapped the smaller girl into a hug. 

"Are you okay?" Freyja sighed, running her hands through his hair, as she pressed a kiss to his head. Sure, Percy was her younger brother (supposedly), but Jason was like her son. She had raised him and taught him to fight better than the others at camp. She was the one to celebrate his victories from him and talk through his defeats. She was the one who remembered his birthday and Christmas, bringing gifts for the boy and she cared about him as much as she could.

"I'm fine, Jason, don't you worry about me." Jason pulled away, looking unsure, but left the topic alone. "How's everything going?"

"You'll never guess what!" Jason said, excitement growing on his face as he finally could tell Freyja the news. "Go on, guess."

"I don't know. You won War Games." Jason shook his head, a smile growing on his face. "You kissed a girl?"

"No, they're thinking of using my strategies for an upcoming assault!" Freyja's eyes widened, before a smile grew on her face.

"You didn't?" He nodded once more. "Jason, that's amazing. That's brilliant!"

"Thanks, Freyja." Jason laughed, as Freyja pulled him into another tight hug, a smile growing on her face. Jason always made Freyja smile, even when things were truly difficult for her.

"Are you going to be around for a bit?" Freyja nodded, with a smile. It wouldn't hurt her and she'd just tell Layla that she needed some out time, the daughter of Hermes would understand.

"Course. Anything for my favorite boy." Jason smiled once more, before leading her back towards New Rome and the camp, talking her ear off all the while.

Hiya,

So this is something else. Jason and Freyja are both adorable beans and they have a more mother son like relationship, cause Jason doesn't really have a mum, and Freyja adores him. I love both of them. Anyway, thoughts about what's going to happen next and when Freyja meets Luke properly?

Question of the Day ; If you could travel to one movie universe, where would you go?

Also, the amazing new covers for both this book and Angel of Death were made by VRPond so let me know what you guys think, and go and show the creator some love.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx