| 43 |

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 | To top all of this off, Annabeth finally tells Freyja what went wrong

FINALLY, they stopped running, coming to a stop in a tiny corridor of white stone. Annabeth had been crying for the whole run, tears slipping down her face, but Freyja had become impassive once more. She had locked her powers away, steeled her emotions and hardened her façade as her mother would expect her to do.

Nico watched the woman with worry, as Percy and Rachel turned to trying to comfort a sobbing Annabeth.

"Freyja." He crouched down next to her silent form, watching as she flexed her grip on a knife. "Freyja, are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Freyja nodded her head, voice cold.

Nico also watched on, understanding better than most, what it was like to lose a loved one in a way that you would never be able to see them again. He had lost Bianca to an automaton of Hephaestus' making and they had never found the body, and Freyja had lost Luke to Kronos, who had control of Luke's body. He didn't know which was worse.

Freyja looked up, hearing an argument starting next to her. She turned, looking at Annabeth and Percy, both of whom were glaring at each other vehemently.

"You want him to be evil, is that it? You didn't know him before, Percy, I did!" Annabeth cried, as Freyja stood to intervene.

"Enough." Annabeth turned, grey eyes wild with fury. "We've seen what's happened. Now, we get back to Camp and warn the others."

"Why are you so calm?" Annabeth prodded at Freyja's chest. "That's the man you love! You're so ready to believe that he is evil as well. He wouldn't have been evil if you had just come back when you should have, instead of joining the Hunters of Artemis!"

"Don't preach to me about what's happened with Luke and whether I want him to be evil or not." Freyja hissed, towering over Annabeth with a fierce glare. "I knew him just as well as you did and I had no choice in whether or not I was going to come back."

"There's always a choice."

"Not for me!" Freyja shook her head. "You think I've had a choice in any of this? I've had none, otherwise I would have come back to Camp with Luke and Layla. I have always wanted to come back but I wasn't allowed."

"Who didn't allow you?" Freyja backed away, shaking her head as she turned to stalk away down the tunnel, with Nico hurrying along behind her.

☾☼☽

Freyja's vision was dark, her anger rolling through her. So much so that all she could do was follow along behind the remainder of the group. By the time she looked up from her feet, they were in a different place. It was a large cave, lined with glowing crystals.