Happy Birthday, Babe

Start from the beginning

"I'm not going to get married right now, Marshall. Seriously, do you expect me to go crawling to him? Do you think I'm that kind of girl, Marshall?" I asked, giving him a raised eyebrow and slight glare. Did he completely forget what I said when we were back with the Forest people? Did he forget how I told him I wouldn't marry Gumball if it upset him? Apparently.

"No, I don't, but you've liked him before. Now he offers you a ring? Any girl wo-"

"I'm not any girl." I huffed, holding my head up with my hand. "Besides, I haven't even dated him or anything like that. I don't know what he's really like."

"Well you know what I'm really like and you haven't dated me." He said, trying to prove me wrong, as always.

"Do I really know what you're like, Marshall?" I retorted, cocking an eyebrow.

"Yes." he paused, giving a small shrug. " You're the only person who knows what I'm truly like and I plan on keeping it that way." He huffed, crossing his arms slightly.

"So you're just going to lie to your future wife?" I laughed, rolling on my back to face the sky again.

A few quiet moments passed and Marshall didn't reply. I turned over to where he was only to see him sitting down, looking blankly at me.

"You know, it's your birthday today." he almost whispered, watching me as I sat up and ran my hands through my hair.

"Hm, it is?" I questioned, looking around. "Well at least it's a pretty day." I smiled, looking him over before standing up and digging clothes out of my bag. "I'll be done in a minute." I said quietly, walking behind a tree to change.

I didn't want any presents or parties. I didn't want Cake making me an elegant dress. I didn't want attention. I have to admit that at the beginning of this trip I wanted all of that, but now that the time is actually here, I'm glad it's just Marsh and I celebrating my birthday together. We aren't even celebrating, really. It's just like a normal day, except now I change a number in my age.

I am 17 now. An official adult, according to Candy Kingdom laws.

The only bad things was that now, I couldn't use the "I'm just a kid" act to refuse Gumball's wedding offer. I was going to have to think of another excuse before our trip ended; something Gumball would believe.

I couldn't just tell Gumball I didn't want to be his wife - that would only make matters worse. He would think I was lying to him, or being forced to say no. Making an excuse was my only option, but it had to be believable.

I gathered my pajamas and walked back to the campsite, shoving them into my bag and zipping it up. I rolled up my sleeping bag, strapping it onto my dufflebag and looking around.

"Marshall?" I called, seeing no sign of him. His bags still lay by the tree in front of me but he wasn't here. I set my bags down by his and looked around. "Marsh?" I called again, peeking behind multiple trees and bushes.

My eyes were suddenly shut, letting me only see darkness. I gasped slightly, trying to pry the cold fingers off of me.

"Relax, Fi. It's me." the deep voice said, letting me know immediately it was Marsh. I sighed deeply, putting my hands to my side and relaxing.

"What are you doing?" I laughed as he led my body somewhere I couldn't see.

"It's your birthday. You have to have a gift." he whispered in my ear, making my shoulders shiver slightly.

"Glob you don't have to whisper, Marshall. There's no one else out here." I said breathlessly, holding onto his arms for support.

I could picture him smirking at me which made me internally groan. We finally stopped, "Don't open your eyes yet." he breathed, removing his hands from my eyes. I could see the sunlight on my eyelids as I stood still, crossing my arms.