Crawling Out

Our business was doing well. We had a good team and we were exceeding expectations in every department. The only thing we were lacking was a reliable building, which was showing as the lights shorted out again, leaving the warehouse section in total darkness.

"Damn it," I muttered as I opened up the breaker box. Holding the flashlight in my mouth, I flipped the switch as I felt hands on my shoulders, causing me to jump a bit.

"Did I get ya?" Roland asked as I turned around to see his grinning face, the flashlight in my mouth blinding him at the same time.

I chuckled as he squinted and turned away. Removing the flashlight from my mouth I replied, "Looks like I just got you back."

He brought his hand up to his face as he blinked excessively.

"I'm going to be seeing spots for the rest of the day."

Pointing the flashlight in his direction. "Serves you right." I walked away from him as he tried regaining his vision.

As I rounded the corner I looked both ways and headed to my work station where bags of parts required sorting. I needed to find a part for a job first, so I ducked down in behind some equipment as I began my search.

"Hey Jordan," called out a man behind me. "You here?"

"Yep!" I yelled out as I crouched down and began to crawl out.

By the time I got around to my work station the man was gone. Judging by voice I had an idea of who it was. He was notorious for wandering away after yelling out to you if you didn't appear right away.

"He'll be back," I sighed as I walked over to the shelves of parts and behind it.

Stopping dead in my tracks as I furled my brow, I could hear a weird noise in the back room where some of the machinery was. Investigating the noise, I walked into the darkened room to find no one.

Unsure as to what had caused the noise, I glanced over at the steps leading into the foyer which led outside to the back of the warehouse. I leaned forward to look at the crack between the floor and the door. An eye was staring back at me, which sent chills down my spine. I stumbled backward, taking notice of a garbage bag that was ripped open on the floor.

"What the hell," I muttered under my breath.

The person's eye staring back at me was so creepy I had to get out for some air. Hurrying to the opposite side of the warehouse, I headed for the exit without making eye contact with anyone else. As I stepped outside I panted and exhaled in an attempt to catch my breath. I peered around the storage yard to see an Asian man stumbling along toward me as if he were a drunk, or even a zombie.

What the fuck? I thought as I headed for the gap between buildings and began scaling them as if I was some parkour master. Before I knew it my heart was pumping as fast as it could and my vision went white. The world around me disappeared as I woke up from the simulator.