Path Of Water

"Okay guys, which way are we going?" Asked Jeff.

"I think we should let Steve decide," answered Marcie.

"Well Steve?" Prompted Jeff.

I looked at him and then Marcie, then over to Matt who couldn't care less which path we took. Observing the square tunnels that looked to be cut out of the the moss-covered hill, I wasn't sure where to go. There was a waterfall at the end of the path that I could hear from where I stood. Since it was so hot out, a waterfall sounded refreshing, but I was still curious about where the path out in the open would lead.

"I'll check out the waterfall first," I finally announced after a quick deliberation in my head. "If I don't come back it means I took a wrong turn."

Jeff laughed. "Sure... we'll come after you if you don't come back in a couple minutes, just in case you are enjoying some refreshing waterfall all to yourself."

I smirked as I began to walk past Marcie.

"Be careful," she warned sweetly, even though I didn't think there was any need for concern.

"Thanks, I'll be right back," I assured her as I began to walk toward the rushing water.

As I walked closer I could see the water fell straight down over the opening of the other side like it was a curtain. I stopped right in front of it and tested the temperature with my fingers.

The water was cool, but not icy cold. I glanced over my shoulder at the curving tunnel but couldn't see the others.

"Here goes nothing," I mumbled, stepping into the waterfall and closing my eyes.

When I stopped feeling water and opened my eyes, I was looking at another curved tunnel. At first I thought there was a split in the tunnel where the water fell down, but then as I walked around the curve to the left, I found another waterfall.

"What the heck?" I asked out loud, slightly confused. Looking over my shoulder at the one I had just walked through, it was as if the tunnel was mirrored. There was no way I was awake. I must have fallen off a cliff and bumped my head and was dreaming this all up in my unconscious state.

Sighing, I knew I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. I would have to walk through one of the waterfalls, I just didn't know which one. If I felt like I was getting lost I could always go back through the same ones I walked through to find the group again.

As I took a couple of steps toward the end of the tunnel, it felt like a déjà vu. I ignored my gut feeling and walked through the other waterfall, closing my eyes as the water poured over me.

When I opened my eyes again I was looking at an open field of green grass and lots of flowers, butterflies too. I had no idea where any of this had come from, but I knew I had to share it.

Immediately turning around, I ran through the waterfall. Again I was greeted with a tunnel hallway with a waterfall at the other end. I wiped my face and then slowly walked through the next one, hoping to find my friends on the other side.

Before I took more than three steps passed the rushing water, I was greeted with nothing under my foot. My eyes shot open as I lost my balance and realized there was nothing in front of me but a thirty foot drop into a pool of water.

Luckily I was able to spin around and plant both feet on solid ground. My heart raced as I caught my breath. I had no idea how the cove had appeared in front of me, but it looked as though I had taken the wrong path. Not only had I chosen to walk through waterfalls, they also seemed to be portals that never took you to the same place twice.