Know Thy Spy

"Captain, we found this man sneaking around the bar in the alley."

I watched as my men brought forth the man, dragging him on his knees. He was wearing all black and looked like her hadn't shaved in a couple of days.

"Bring him here," I commanded.

As they brought him over to the middle of the bar, the light allowed me to get a better look at him. He was one of mine, presumably returning with good news. Before I could say another word, one of my men sitting at the bar lunged at him.

"Traitor!" he yelled, knocking the man to the floor.

Before I could pull him off he had plunged a knife into the backside of my informant's skull, the man's body lying limp, dead on the bar floor.

"Idiot!" I yelled, cracking my soldier in the face with my elbow, knocking him unconscious. "Anyone else care to ruin this war?"

My blood was boiling. The piece of shit had just killed my informant and now all those weeks working with the enemy would be for nothing. I searched his coat and found a rolled piece of parchment tied with a ribbon. Opening it, I found details of a road the enemy soldiers would be using to gain ground on us at the old fort. It was too late to ask him what else he knew, so I knelt down and closed his eyelids.

"Carry him out back," I told my other men. "We'll give him a proper burial tomorrow."

When they came back inside I was standing over the body of the man I knocked out.. I waved them over to where I stood and gave them their last order for the night.

"Take this idiot outside. Toss him in the middle of the street for a horse to trample over. If he comes back, shoot him."