Love Corridor

The building entrance mimicked that of a hotel with its double doors of glass and bronze finish. I opened the outward swinging door on the right and walked in, expecting to see a hotel lobby but there was none. To my surprise I was greeted with a bare, white room with corridors leading in multiple directions.

I stood there as I wondered why my feet had taken me to this particular place. There were no signs to direct me to anything specific, which meant I was bound to get lost regardless of which way I went. Realizing there was no other option but to explore, I turned left and began to walk.

As I wondered where the corridor would lead me, I soon began to pass recessions in the walls where doors stood hidden until a was standing in front of them. The first one had a sign above it in bold, black capital letters that read 'love' and so did the second.

Confused, I stopped at the second set of doors and furled my brow. Why was this place so plain and repetitive? As I pondered the question a couple walked by me and paid me no mind. I glanced to my right to see them continue around the curving corridor and out of view before looking to my left to see a corner.

Instead of rounding it, I figured it was best to see what at least one room contained before I spent anymore time wandering aimlessly as if lost. I reached for the door knob and walked through, a bright light blinding me instantly.

Putting up my hand to shield my eyes was to no effect as I soon found myself outside facing yet another door, yet this one belonged to a house. Perhaps it was a prop on a movie set, so I knocked out of genuine curiosity.

The door immediately opened revealing my ex, Frances. She still looked beautiful with her long blonde hair and thin cheek bones.

"What are you waiting for?" she asked. "You're letting all the cold air out."

"Sorry," I replied, then climbed up the three cement steps inside. As she closed the door I walked into the middle of the living room and stopped next to the couch.

"Have a seat Charles," she offered, walking over and sitting down on the left side.

I sat down on the opposite side and stared at her, unsure of what was going on.

She smiled. "Well?"

"Well what?" I asked, clearly unsure of why I was there, or how I had even arrived there.

"You wanted to come over and talk, remember?" She waited for me to recall the request and then asked, "So, how are we doing?"

Just as my lips parted to try and form an answer a couple walked through the door and interrupted our private time together.

"Oh, hey, how's it going?" Greeted the man with brown hair while the woman ignored us completely.

"Hey, how's it goin'?" I replied as the man hurried after her and disappeared down the hallway.

The couple seemed familiar for some reason, but I couldn't place them. I must have had a confused look upon my face because Frances then urged, "Don't mind them."

Ignoring her comment as well as her previous question, I asked, "What is this place?"

Smiling, she giggled. "What do you mean?"

"This place," I insisted. "It doesn't seem real. And neither do you."

She gave me a disapproving look. "Really? So what do you think this is then, a dream?"

"I'm not sure, but it kind of feels like therapy."

"Does it?" She asked, leaning on her hand.

"It does."