2.6.5

Sirens blared in my ears as I ran down the hallway, pulling my lanyard from around my neck. The white walls made the facility look sterile, which it was, and also allowed little to no distraction as we worked in labs.

Arriving at the arms sector, I grasped my key card and slid it into the mechanism. It prompted me for a retina scan, so I stood still while it confirmed my access to the ammunition I would need to defend the place I had put my entire life into.

Once the door slid open, I cursed the mole within my company walls, as well as the soldiers, who were now breaking into my fortress. My facility was massive. It was also meant to withstand any military attack, or nuclear war. That was unless someone stole access cards and codes to give to a general, hell bent on destroying my research to cure the new epidemic.

I loaded everything I could into a large duffle bag, then slung it over my shoulder as I picked up the two remaining automatic machine guns. There was no way I could fire them single-handedly because of the power they packed, but once I was set up in the main corridor, I could use both hands and take out anything that came for me.

My brother came running down the hall toward me with his sidearm pointed in a downward direction.

"Is that everything?" he asked, a little out of breath.

"Yeah"—raising the machine guns slightly—"just make sure everyone else gets to the vault. Especially dad."

"What are you going to do?" His brow scrunched in wonder.

"I'm going to defend the main corridor into the basement. The vantage point is perfect for me, and if I need to fall back, I can seal the door and meet up with you later." My plan was simple: shoot, kill, repeat. And of course, reload when I needed to.

"You're crazy," he stated.

I laughed with a grin spreading across my face. "Like you aren't?"

"You don't have to do this by yourself," my brother insisted, glancing down as he pulled the clip from his gun before reloading it. He cocked it then stared at me.

"Yeah, I know," I replied, looking around as if for volunteers.

"I'll do anything for you, you're my brother." We both stared at each other for a moment, the sirens being tuned out as the red lights continued to flash.

"Do what I told you," I finally answered. "Help the others to the vault, along with dad. I'll be fine here." I glanced over my shoulder as I heard an explosion. "For a while anyway. Now go," I added sternly.

Nodding, he reluctantly turned around and began running in the opposite direction. Shaggy brown hair bounced as his feet carried him at a steady pace to the end of the hall before turning left and stopping. He took one last glance at me, then disappeared around the corner.

I readjusted the duffle bag strap on my shoulder, then turned around and headed down the hall toward the main corridor. The elevator shaft went straight through it, but didn't stop on this level. Rounding the wall which contained the facility's main form of transportation, I dropped the bag and set one of the guns on top of it.

The white walls surrounded me as I leaned against one, the light gray tiles begging me to not be riddled with bullets. I checked over the gun one last time, then side stepped to my right so I was looking down the corridor at the stairs. There were no signs of intrusion, but I knew it was only a matter of time.

A bag full of ammunition and smaller guns rested about ten feet to my left. Aside from that, it was just me against all of them.

My lanyard was around my neck again, my key card waiting to be swiped one more time before heading toward the vault with everyone else. I didn't want to give the invaders any satisfaction of knowing I had retreated without a fight. The vault would allow us to remain hidden and eventually escape if the facility was completely compromised, but I didn't want to go out like that.

All these years of researching viruses wasn't going to be snuffed out by one command crew of soldiers. I spent my entire life being a rebel, trying to cure what the government had created alongside terrorist groups to extort money and gain resources. This facility served as a, 'Fuck you', to the big man. Apparently we did a good job: my dad, my brother, our coworkers, and myself.

Here those bastards come.

Soldiers wearing suits and helmets that were covered in dark, circuit board patterns came into view at the top of the stairs. I steadied myself, slightly turning sideways so I minimized my target area. The wall I would take cover behind was a few feet away, but as my finger pulled the trigger and soldiers began plummeting to the floor, some bouncing down the stairs in a pool of broken armour and blood, the thought of running didn't cross my mind.