The Boyfriend Cult

Today I was going to meet Ashlynn's parents for the first time. She was my first ever girlfriend, so I was a bit nervous about what her parents would think of me.

We met at school and started talking because of a group assignment we had to work on together. To me it was luck meeting her. She went to church, had morals and values, she was smart and funny, and had a beautiful smile. Chestnut brown hair and eyes to match, I couldn't help but become distracted in most of my classes.

Our relationship was innocent, and we both intended on it staying that way for as long as possible. We held hands when we could, kissed – but never with tongue – and hugged one another for long periods of time before we got on separate buses after school.

Ashlynn invited me over during the afternoon, telling me her dad would be barbecuing hamburgers for dinner. When I got there she answered the door with her mother right behind her.

"You must be Cody," exclaimed her mother, seemingly more excited, a wide grin spread across her face. They looked so much alike, so I knew where she got her looks from. "Please, come in," ushered her mother, opening the door completely so there was enough room for them to stand side by side.

"Thank you," I replied with a quick smile. Looking at Ashlynn, I wasn't sure if a quick hug in front of her mother was appropriate or not, so I gave her a quick peck on the cheek as her mother turned around to close the door.

"Cody, why don't you come downstairs and meet Ashlynn's father?" The suggestion didn't seem suspect, but Ashlynn's facial expression was. She seemed hesitant and uneasy at the thought of going down there.

I followed her mother, Ashlynn trailing behind me. Her father was a clean shaven man – a proper looking man – one who went to church, but was still handy around the house.

In the middle of the floor was a broken wooden chair. The man tapped a piece of wood with a rubber mallet, then looked up as all three of us stopped in front of him. He placed his glasses in his dark wavy hair, then held out his hand for me to shake.

"This is, Cody, Ashlynn's boyfriend, dear," her mother introduced as I gave the man's hand a firm squeeze.

"Are you handy, son?" he asked, releasing my hand and offering me the mallet.

"Yes, sir," I replied, accepting the mallet. Still nervous, I wanted to impress her parents, even if it was by piecing a chair back together.

"There glue is on the table," he pointed out. "I need these supports glued into the legs. Think you're up to the task?"

"Absolutely," I grinned, hoping I wasn't coming across too eager.

"I'll leave you to it then," placing a hand on my shoulder. "I need a quick break." He walked past me and headed upstairs. Ashlynn's mother followed quickly behind, then reluctantly she did too. I smiled at her as I turned to my task, but her smile was reserved.

I wondered for a moment why she was acting so weird. Glancing back at the stairs, I saw her socked feet disappear, then heard voices.

"Ashlynn, you know what has to happen now, right?" her mother asked. I could barely hear the words from the basement, but focused on each one. The door had been left open a crack, perhaps to listen for me whacking pieces of chair into place.

"Whack!" sounded the mallet on a random piece that wasn't in need of fixing. I had to give the illusion I was focused on fixing the chair as opposed to eavesdropping.

"But he's nice, mom," Ashlynn pleaded. "We're never alone, I swear." I waited to hear a man's voice, but it didn't follow.

"Boys only want one thing: sex." I was shocked by what her mother was saying. We were both virgins. We even made a promise to wait until marriage. "When you least expect it, he will pressure you, or take advantage of you. I don't want to take that chance."

"But, mom."

"Sweetie," intervened her father. "Listen to your mother. We can talk about Cody more after dinner. Until then, we have to keep him locked in the basement." With those words, the door closed gently and the clicking of a lock cylinder could be heard.

I froze. What had I gotten myself into? For a while I just stood there, digesting the words I had overheard. Eventually I set the mallet down on the table next to the glue, then wondered if I should finish repairing the chair, or start looking for a way out.