Justice Never Sleeps

Christina and I had just arrived back at headquarters after a drug bust. I parked our Police SUV in our usual spot as Joey and Marcus pulled into the spot next to us. We got out and began walking in as their hatch popped open.

Joey and Marcus were rifling through what we found at the house, their vehicle full of all the drugs because they offered to transport them. As they continued to search for something specific, Christina and I stopped behind our vehicle and looked on in curiosity of the crooked cops.

"One for us and the rest can go into evidence as usual," announced Marcus.

After stuffing a small bag of cocaine into his pocket, he spun around to see us staring at him.

"Oh, hey guys," he greeted nonchalantly, as if he hadn't just been caught red-handed. "Good job today. Real solid bust." He gave us a thumbs up, but I saw what he did.

"Marcus, put it back," I instructed.

"Put what back?" he asked, playing stupid.

I shook my head at his stupidity as I began to walk by him.

"Hey," grabbing my arm. "I asked you a question, man."

"Get your fucking hand off me," I commanded.

"Or what?" His mouth hung open on an angle, which was probably due to the drugs he was constantly doing on his days off.

I pulled my arm away from his grip and then began to walk again, this time Joey stepping in front of me.

"Hey, man, no need to rat on anybody today. It's a big bust. They won't notice a ziplock bag going missing. They never do."

"Exactly," I agreed. "They never do. And that's the problem."

Joey wasn't looking for a fight, so he hung his head in defeat, knowing that I wouldn't throw him under the bus since he didn't possess the cocaine.

I looked over my shoulder at Christina and then began to walk around Joey as he accepted my decision. Before I got more than five steps away from him, I was shoved from behind, causing me to stumble, but not fall.

Turning around, Marcus looked at me with fire in his eyes. His fists were clenched, he was ready to duke it out right in front of the main doors.

"You're gonna rat us out, eh?"

"No," shaking my head. "Just you."

"You're a junkie too, you piece of shit," he accused, approaching with a pointed finger. "I know you two aren't clean either."

As he got within striking range, I swung first, connecting with his left cheek. Marcus stumbled as he reached for his face, but I didn't let him recover. I advanced toward him, punching him again, which caused him to fall into their SUV.

One swift crack to the face more and he was falling to the ground. I didn't feel any hands around my arms trying to pull me back, so I knew Christina and Joey were both watching as I beat Marcus half to death.

My fists relentlessly struck his face until they were covered in blood and I was out of breath. I then wiped my hands on his uniform and stood up.

I looked over at Joey, then Christina. She tilted her head toward the door to signal I should follow her inside to clean my self off, as well as report the douchebag now lying unconscious outside his own work.