Zs In The Night

It had been a long day for my fiancee and I. Between planning for a wedding and working, plus having social lives, we were both spread rather thin. Our time for each other was minimal, but we still managed to appreciate the little time we did have together. Most of it was spent cuddling in bed, or watching a movie. Considering how exhausted we both were, I'm surprised either of us made it through a complete movie without passing out halfway through.

Conversations were kept to a minimum as we each had a list of things to prep for the wedding. By the time I got home, I barely had enough energy to shower and lift a fork to my mouth at dinner. Looking into my fiancee's eyes when she came home, I could see she felt the same way, yet somehow she always had just enough energy to prepare dinner for us.

One night as we laid in bed together, I was disturbed from a light sleep due to the rain hitting the window. The pitter-patter of rain drops didn't seem to bother my fiancee as she slept next to me. I carefully slid out from underneath the sheets, then made my way into the dark kitchen. Peeking through the blinds, I watched as the rain hit the pavement under the single lamppost on our street.

Shortly after I went to the washroom, I navigated my way to the window in the living room to look at the backyard. Following the driveway with my eyes, I could barely make out some movement at my car garage. It made sense if someone was trying to break into it during the rain. Their presence would be drowned out and I'd be none the wiser. Unfortunately for them, I was awake and ready to defend.

Before I could get my coat on and a pair of boots, my fiancee came to the back steps.

"What are you doing?" she asks sleepily.

"I saw something at the garage, I'll be back shortly," I assure her. It didn't work though.

"Are you crazy? It's dark, late, and raining out. If someone is back there we should call the Police and let them handle it. I don't want you to get hurt."

"That will take too long." I zip up my coat and look down at my pajama pants, hoping they will suffice.

"Then I'm going with you." Her voice is hoarse, but if I try to fight her decision it would surely come to life.

"Fine," I sigh. "Get your coat on while I find a flashlight."

Minutes later we are sneaking up the driveway toward the garage, concealing ourselves the best we can in shadows and behind trees, or bushes that line the property. Slowly approaching the door, I pull it open.

"So much for the lock I bought," I whisper, my fiancee now holding my hand as we slink inside.

I flick on the main light to catch whoever is inside, but as my eyes adjust, I see no one. As my brow furls out of confusion, I hear an engine roar to life. We both step back outside to see a truck flick on its map lights. I jog over so I can see through the windshield, letting her hand slip from my grasp. Gruesome faces are illuminated on the inside of the cab.

"Are those... zombies?"