Eye In The Sky

Staying up late to look at the stars was one of my favourite past times. Tonight was no different than any other, that was until I came back from brushing my teeth to look for one final time before crawling under the sheets.

I set my glass of water on the table beside the telescope and peered up at the night sky. At first I saw stars, but as my eye refocused, I swore I was looking at a reflection of it.

The eye stared back at me for a few seconds before I realized there were tentacles moving all around it in a wave-like motion. It was as if the eyeball was floating in space, or water, but I knew it couldn't be possible.

"I am all-knowing." It spoke in a deep voice, catching me off guard.

Most people would have stumbled away from their telescope for sure, but not me. I gripped it tightly with my hand, careful not to change the adjustments or position. The eyeball continued to stare back at me.

It spoke, I thought. The thing actually spoke to me. How is that even possible?

As I continued to question what I was experiencing, the eye seemed to sway back and forth as if trying to hypnotize me. I immediately turned the telescope, trying to avoid finding the eye in the sky again. It was just too much for me to digest before going to sleep. My mind raced with ideas and explanations as to what happened, or why. Maybe I was going crazy in my life of solitude, or perhaps I had just discovered something ancient.

I shook my head, trying to bounce the idea from my mind that I was seeing the Spaghetti monster, or whatever it was. Someone had told me about it when I was younger when I played a game with them, but I thought it was just some made up thing.

Slipping under the covers, I tried to calm my mind. All I could see was the giant eye with its tentacles wiggling around it.

All-knowing, I thought to myself. If only it were that simple. All my questions about my life could be answered in a matter of seconds if that thing were real. And if it was real, then I would find it again some other night.