Separate Rooms

My wife and I had a disagreement about something last night, which resulted in her sleeping with our daughter and me sleeping alone in our bed with the cat. Our son somehow slept through it all so he was oblivious in the morning as he ate his breakfast that my wife had made.

I walked out of the bedroom, the cat right on my heels. My wife stared at me with a blank look upon her face as I walked to the bathroom in my pajama pants. Lucy glanced at me while she ate her breakfast, while Daniel kept his focus on his food as if someone would steal it from him.

After locking the bathroom door, I sat down on the toilet and pondered what had even happened the night before. My wife and I rarely ever fought, and for her to not even want to sleep with me at night was a first.

I was confused by her strange behaviour, but I was mostly concerned about how it would affect the kids if she had said anything to them without even discussing things with me first. Our kids were a product of our relationship, which was based on respect and communication. Last night we had a breakdown of those two things, which left me walking on eggshells as I finished up in the bathroom and made my way back toward the kitchen.

"You're up!" Greeted my aunt with a big grin. She had a bag full of items with her, which she set down on the kitchen table. "I hope you don't mind me coming by so early, but I figured the kids would rather their treat earlier in the day."

Oh great, just what I need, my aunt spoiling the kids while I'm in the dog house.

"That's so nice of you," thanked my wife. "What do you say kids?"

"Thanks," mumbled Daniel through a mouthful of cereal.

"Thank you," smiled Lucy, her front teeth missing.

"They will melt, so I suggest putting them in the freezer as soon as possible." Advised my aunt.

Turning her head to me, Amanda asked, "Dear, would you mind?"

"Not at all." I forced a smile as I stepped forward and took the bag of treats downstairs.

As I placed the boxes of icecream cones and sandwiches in the freezer, I heard light footsteps behind me. I closed the door and scrunched up the plastic bag before turning around to face my wife.

My eyebrows lifted in surprise, wondering why she had followed me down there. With my aunt upstairs someone would be able to keep an eye on the kids while we had a brief moment of privacy.

"I'm sorry about last night," she apologized in low, calm voice.

"Really?" I was in disbelief.

"Yes," Amanda nodded. "We shouldn't have been arguing last night like we did, especially in front of Lucy. I've... I've been a little on edge lately."

"You tell me everything, don't you?"

"I do," she assured me. "But... there is one thing on my mind lately."

"Something you haven't told me about?"

"Yes, and with good reason. It's just a feeling."

Skeptical, I furled my brow and quickly looked side to side. "What is it?"

Amanda hesitated as she slightly turned her head. Her eyes met mine as she confessed, "I might be pregnant again."

My eyes shot open wide and my mouth hung open.

"Yeah..." I could tell she was not thrilled about divulging what she had been keeping from me. "I know you didn't really want another one."

"What?" I was caught off guard by her remark. "I mean... no, not really. Money is tight for us right now, but if you are, you are. We'll just... have to make sure we don't have a fourth."

"Well, if your aunt stays for a bit I think I'll make a run to the store for a test to confirm my hunch."

I nodded. "Okay."

"And if I am pregnant, those icecream treats for the kids won't last very long."

"You already have a craving for icecream?"

"No," Amanda replied calmly. "I'll be stress eating." She smiled and then sighed, her shoulders dropping.