When I Was A Boy

Driving in my dad's old Chevy was such a treat. It was something I looked forward to every weekend. We went to baseball games and even had picnics at the park with mom.

One day I remember driving through the tunnel that went under the canal. Everyone at school always played the game where we would hold our breath the whole way through. I would usually beat everyone, but sometimes I would forget to inhale enough air.

Since my dad knew of the game, he smiled in the rear view mirror as my cheeks puffed out from the air stored in them. Mom shook her head as she glanced back, her curled blonde hair bouncing in the wind.

I exhaled as we got to the other side and my dad laughed. Going for long drives was always fun, but today was particularly special since we were going car shopping. My dad had hinted at buying a new car for a while since everyone else was trading in for something new and shiny.

The dealership was just before a bend twenty minutes outside the city. As we pulled into the lot it looked a lot like a farmer had parked cars in a bull's pen. There was a lone house across the street and a big red barn stood next to it.

My jaw dropped open in awe as I saw all the new black Fords. I knew my dad liked his Chevy, but he wanted to buy a Ford like his dad. I was excited either way because I figured I could persuade him into buying the car I liked.

Hopping out of the car and then closing the door, I skipped alongside my mom and dad as we went to look at the first group of cars. As we got close to the gate, I could hear Police sirens getting louder and louder.

I looked to my left toward the bend and saw a car race around it and carry on at high speed. The Police cars weren't too far behind it, but it made me wonder why the person was in such a rush.

"Now don't get any ideas, dear." My mom warned. "We are buying a family car today, not some convertible sports car."

My dad laughed. "Of course, honey. Only a family car will do for us. We just have to make sure we buy the right family car that can outrun the Police in case we are late for a picnic."