Indecisive Proposal

So typical of Rajeev to keep me waiting. I feel like I have been staring at him for hours, waiting for him to decide where we will go for dinner. It's not like he doesn't know my preferences for food, however, he is quite the indecisive man. I guess that is why my parents and his thought that we were a good match – I'm not indecisive at all! Things should be planned out and set well in advance, not this dilly-dallying that he always subjects me to.

I continued to look at him as my annoyance grew inside me. He didn't have to speak to know I was mad and waiting, and at one point I felt as though we were having a conversation just by looking at one another, without speaking a single word.

He stood by a table in the empty white room. It was far too large for the two of us, but that is where we found ourselves at that moment. Him on one side, I on the other. And to think, we were both dressed in typical garments, nice ones too, as if we were celebrating something. Actually, we were, it was our second year anniversary. I'm being sarcastic as my annoyance continues to grow and my patience with him becomes thin. Men!

After a long period of silence I finally walked over to him. I picked up my glass of wine, which had been sitting next to his full one. He hadn't taken a sip, while mine had ice cubes that had almost completely melted. They clinked against my teeth as I drank, then set the glass down on the table.

Words still hadn't been spoken, but just as I was about to muster up a few, he extended his arm outward, pointing to a doorway to my right. A servant of the house walked in at that very moment. I recognized him and his older appearance, well-kept beard and black turban included. He bowed slightly in greeting.

Just as I was about to wonder what was going on, Rajeev handed me a gift. I accepted it from him and unwrapped the simple tan paper. It was a rug of some sort, but not for a house, yet a pet perhaps. I looked at him strange before something in the corner of my eye caught my attention. A small puppy came running past the servant and straight toward me. I had never been one for dogs, but for some reason I was glad to see the small animal running to me. It came right up to me and I picked it up. Turning to Rajeev, I gave him a look of thanks and bewilderment. Was this my anniversary gift? Was his indecisiveness just some ploy to delay the arrival of the puppy now in my arms? I had so many questions as he got down on one knee, yet at that moment I knew what he was going to do. No words were spoken prior to his kneeling, and now I found myself speechless indeed.