Wrong Elevator

Breaking into a government warehouse filled with restricted technologies wasn't our most brilliant idea. We were rebels for a reason, but our cockiness was almost our downfall when we found ourselves pinned down.

The siren was blaring as security orbs surrounded the group of us. Andrew had tried to take one of the small tanks out of a storage pod – yup, we were potentially all going to get killed or jailed because of his typical stupidity: all brawn, no brain.

Seeing as he was the only one in an excessively armoured suit, he led the way as orbs tried subduing us with tasers. With me bringing up the rear, I made sure that Mel caught up to the group since she was the shortest of us all and also the slowest. Once she was ahead of me, we made our way through hallways where rooms were filled with what looked to be operating machines, or databases in others. The white walls were concrete up to my waist and the rest was see-through glass. Clearly they weren't trying to hide what was contained within them.

When I rounded the last corner and finally caught up to the other four members of our group, I realized they were waiting in what seemed to be a lobby. As I slowly walked toward Mel and Ricky I noticed there was a door ahead of them, then glanced over my shoulder to see if the security orbs were still in pursuit.

"What's the holdup Andrew?" I asked as I noticed a beeping sound coming from the armoured door.

Before he could answer me, the door split open to reveal an entire elevator full of guards. Because of the armour I couldn't tell if they were robots, or actual people. I quickly ducked behind a control panel wall as shots were fired; ours trying to prevent the guards from getting off the elevator and theirs trying to kill or injure us.

Poking my head out from around the corner, I noticed one throw a grenade. I jumped out, picked it up and tossed it back. Just as the grenade was about to land inside and take them all out, the door slid shut. I leaped forward and picked up the grenade, hoping there was still time for me to come up with a plan B.

Without a second thought, I yelled, "Take cover!" and threw the grenade into the left corner of the room and dove toward Mel and Ricky. Andrew turned his back and stayed where he was, his armour capable of withstanding most large radius blasts.

A loud bang could be heard, followed by a ringing in my ear and the crumbling of the lobby wall. I stood up and wobbled, trying to figure out what our next move would be if the elevator door were to open again.

Andrew briskly walked over to the hole in the wall and then waved us all over. "Come here."

We all walked over and stood a few feet away from the hole I had just made with the grenade meant to take us out.

"Looks like an old mine shaft," stated Andrew. "If you ask me, this is our way out."

"I don't know if anyone else's ears are ringing, but did you just say a shaft leadingdown is our way back up and out?"

"Do you see any other option?" He asked as the elevator door slid open again, the guards filing out one by one.

"Not anymore!" I yelled as I blasted a few and then turned to jump.

As I leaped forward after Jorge I could still hear debris splashing at the bottom of the shaft. I knew water was probably the last thing we wanted to contend with, but I also knew Andrew would be the one to struggle the most considering the weight of his suit.

Free falling down the pitch black mine shaft, all I could think about was, Why didn't we just stick to roadblocks and stealing delivery trucks?