Rainy Night

Every great inventor has to test what they are developing. It was no different for me, but since I couldn't easily conceal what I was working on from the public, my only option was to test it at night when the conditions weren't ideal. As people stayed in their homes, deterred by the bad weather and lack of light, I would be pedaling my bike around the neighbourhood, waiting for the most ideal time to reveal my invention to the stars.

As I put on my jacket with a reflective stripe, butterflies fluttered around in my stomach. I didn't know why I was so nervous about testing my invention. It worked, and rather well I might add. The thought of someone braving the night and wet was the only thing I had to be worried about, yet it was enough to make me cautious.

Strapping my helmet under my chin, I locked the door and then headed out to the garage. The door opened automatically from the push of a button fastened to the inside wall, while I walked over to my mountain bike. It had been completely redesigned from what I purchased years ago from a bike store. The design was great, but I had to modify it to accommodate the extra pieces I needed to add.

It had slightly thicker tubing for a frame, and a unit mounted to the handlebars for when I wanted to activate the canopy. A full enclosure would have been nice, so that was the next step in the evolution of my invention. Baby steps were needed for me to get a handle on the construction, which consisted of me doing a lot of research online. Forums and articles consumed most of my free time, and of course building. From welding to wrenching, I fabricated everything on the bike as I rebuilt it from the ground up. It was a completely new bike when I finished it a week ago today.

Once I pushed the bike out of the garage, I waited for the door to begin closing before setting off down the driveway to the sidewalk. I pedaled slowly as the wind blew and rain pelted me in the face. As much as I wanted to spring the canopy into action, I needed to avoid passing cars with witnesses in them. It might have been dark and raining with poor visibility, but I didn't like the idea of taking chances, risking my invention being stolen by someone else. Ideas are what I had to live on, so I needed to protect them.

A few minutes later I found myself on a quiet side street. I continued to pedal as I pushed the button, a quiet hum coming from the motors as the canopy engulfed me. The clear material unfolded as the support pieces moved into place, creating a dome-like shape around me. Rain continued to fall, but now I was completely shielded, my feet included. The only way I could get wet now was from spray coming off the wheels, but that was easily avoided by attaching fenders.

Sheltered from the rain, I felt a sense of pride. My invention was complete and functioning flawlessly. The only thing I wanted to do now was enjoy the ride for a bit before transforming the bike back to its initial form.

Just as I was about to push the button, someone yelled at me from the dark.

"Hey! What is that?"

I was startled, causing me to lose my balance, then quickly regain it. Looking around, I continued to pedal forward as I spotted two figures heading toward me. I panicked, changing gears and picking up the pace. They seemed to do the same as I looked over my shoulder at them. The canopy eventually went back into hiding as I detoured through a park and then behind a building, racing down an embankment before returning to a paved surface.

Fifteen minutes later I was out of breath, with no sign of the two people who seemed to chase me. Whether they were just curious, or were looking to steal the bike, I couldn't afford to take that chance with all the time and effort I had invested in the idea. What I created was beyond its time and could potentially make me millions if I found an investor who was willing to fund the product. I had heard too many horror stories of people missing out because they weren't careful, or allowed others to take their ideas. That wasn't going to happen to me, I was going to fight tooth and nail to make sure I didn't miss out on the chance of a lifetime. I wanted to be famous. Not because of money, but because I wanted to leave behind a legacy of innovation. A legacy full of ideas that would inspire the next generation.