Closer (In More Ways Than One)

Start from the beginning

"Hang in there, almost done." A voice whispered deep into my ear. My head snapped back to Lynden who sat at his desk, mouthing words I did not care to listen to. I turned my head around to the direction in which the voice came, only to see a few wrinkled, gray berries on the floor.

Marshall.

How long had he been here without me knowing? Did he listen to everything? Why didn't he trust me to do things on my own?! My face became heated as I heard my name, but this time it came from Lynden as he called for my attention.

"Fionna? Is there something wrong?"

"Not at all." I answered slowly, turning my body to face him again.

"Well as I was saying, would you like to room with us tonight? It would be quick, better than setting up camp."

"Is Marshall allowed to stay here too, then?"

"Of course."

I thought for a moment before answering. "Then, yes please."

"Great, let my guard escort you out of the room and he will lead you two to your rooms. We'll get the work done in the morning so you two can be on your way by afternoon."

"Thanks and goodnight." I said, standing up and giving him a smile before looking around the room once more.

I defiantly did not trust these trees but a mattress was much better than a bed of grass. The guard who had stood behind Lynden the whole time was now in front of me, opening the door and standing to the side, allowing me to walk ahead of him.

In front of me stood none other than the king of vampires, a smirk clearly apparent on his face.

"So we're staying, huh?"

I raised an eyebrow tiredly. "Well would you rather sleep in the mud?" I over exaggerated, stepping closer to him.

He shrugged and floated lazily in the air as I signaled the guards to lead us to our rooms. We had thankfully brought everything we needed with us, so that meant I could sleep in different clothes, which I was very happy about.

I grabbed my bag and Marshall grabbed his, both of us slinging them over our shoulders. We walked down a hallway which led two different ways. I was led down the right and Marshall the left, after he let out a grunt and an eye-roll. I smiled, opening my door and blowing a sarcastic goodnight kiss to the vampire. From down the hall he pretended to catch it, holding it close to his heart before giving me a half smirk, half smile. He gave me his usual rockstar hand signal before opening his own door and floating inside.

I cleaned my face gently, leaving the top of my head un bandaged for the night. The bleeding had thankfully stopped but some hair had been matted down and stuck together. After I was done washing up I looked through my bag, only to discover a pair of red and black plaid boxers and a wrinkled white t shirt, among other things.

It was Marshall's bag, I sighed internally.

I didn't feel like walking down the hall so instead, I stripped down and slipped the boxers and shirt on, climbing into bed and snuggling into the covers.

His clothes smelled like him.

Before I had a chance to doze off, a knock loudly beat on my door. I waited a minute before getting out of my comfortable position in bed to answer it.

"What?" I asked, opening the door to reveal a very flustered Marshall Lee.

"Fionna what the lump?!" He exclaimed, looking my body up and down.

"What?"

"You're wearing my boxers!"

"So?"

"Wh-w-those are mine!"