Chapter 26

Quincey finished up the last of his chicken noodle soup the nurse had given him a few minutes prior. As he sat the spoon down in the empty bowl, there was a knock on the door. Before he could open his mouth, the person - or people - walked inside the room.

It was Trigg - with Jesus and Roland behind him, as always.

"What's up fam?" Trigg greeted him loudly as he took a seat in the pull out chair next to his bed.

Jesus and Roland sat awkwardly on the small couch across the room. They nodded as Quincey nodded back.

"Nothing," Quincey replied dryly.

"Damn, what's wrong with you? Niggas sound depressed and shit."

Was he serious? Quincey thought.

"Nigga I'm in the fucking hospital. What the fuck do you mean what's wrong with me?"

"But you're still alive," he replied nonchalantly. "It was only a shot to the hand. Stop crying like a little bitch."

"Hand or not, I still technically took a bullet for your ass! Fuck do you mean?"

"Hold up," he quickly interjected, standing up out the chair. "You aint do shit for me. Let's get that straight."

"Yeah, just like you ain't do shit for me. Niggas didn't even call to see how the fuck I was doing! All of this did happen at your party. All of this did happen because of you. Nigga did you forget? That bullet was clearly meant for you. Stop pretending to be clueless. I'm not the one who got problems with that nigga, you are. Funny how the moment you first heard them gun shots you were no where to be found."

"I ain't call because I had shit to do - business to take care of boy. But I'm here now ain't I? Obviously I wouldn't have took time out of my fucking day if I didn't care. And just know that I got them niggas. Payback is a bitch. You my nigga so I got you."

"Still doesn't change the fact that my hand is fucked up."

"Well I'm sorry, damn. What the fuck do you want me to do Quincey? Shit. I said I got them niggas. What the fuck are you still crying for?"

Quincey rolled his eyes, not having anything to say.

"I'm sorry alright?"

Sorry doesn't fix everything Quincey thought.

"Sure, alright. Can we change the subject now?" he breathed, slightly irritated now.

His mind shifted to Bre as an awkward silence filled the room. He regretted the way he treated her the other day but he needed time alone to think. He felt as if everyone was turning on him and out to get him.

As if Trigg read his mind, he spoke up.

"So what's up with you and my sister?"

Quincey rolled his eyes as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Oh come on," he sucked his teeth. "Nigga you know."

"Honestly, I don't."

"Man I knew something was up with y'all," he started. "Ever since that day at the kick back and you took her home. Something in y'all changed. I saw the way y'all looked at each other at work. Gabby use to come out that bitch smelling like straight fish and grease but smiling hard as fuck."

Trigg chuckled to himself before continuing.

"She likes you - a lot nigga."

"That's cute. I don't even have that fucking job anymore so all of this is irrelevant."

"Fuck you mean you don't have the job anymore?"

"Y'all mom fucking fired me," Quincey laughed.

He was still bitter, but it was actually kind of funny.

"Serious?"

"Dead ass."

"For what? Over your hand?"

"Apparently because she thinks I'm associated with you business wise and out here on the streets."

"What? That's fucked up. Don't let that shit get to you. My mom can be a bitch sometimes. I'm sure you'll find a better job. Better yet, when you gone start working for me?"

He just wouldn't hang it up.

"Too much shit has been going on lately for me to even think about that right now."

"Ah, I feel you. So when you and my sister gone make up?"

Quincey shrugged his shoulders.

"She talking bout she can't talk to me no more because I'm not the type of person she should be with. Apparently I'm another you and I'm not good enough for her. But whatever."

"Nigga what?" Trigg laughed. "That don't even sound like my sister."

"Well that's what she said when she came to tell me I didn't have a job anymore."

"My mama probably told her that. Better yet, our stuck up aunt probably the one who was speaking in her ear. Gabs can be a bit of a goody two shoes, but she's definitely not into those preppy niggas. She's not judgemental at all. Doesn't take much to make her happy. She sees past people flaws. That's one thing I can say about my sister."

"Well I don't know," he shrugged again. "I don't want to think about it anymore. What ever happens happen."

"I think y'all should talk it out. Y'all probably talking but not actually hearing each other."

Quincey thought about what he said as Trigg cleared his throat, getting ready to leave.

"Well I gotta go. I was gone buy you some flowers or some shit but I thought that was kind of gay."

"Alright," Quincey chuckled.

"Hope that hand get better fam. I got them niggas don't even worry."

"Okay," he laughed again. "Be safe out there."

They dapped each other one last time before Trigg left out the door. Jesus and Roland nodded, and Quincey did the same. He picked up the remote that sat on his tray as he decided to try and find something to watch.