Chapter 6

Fourth period seemed to have rolled around pretty quickly. Quincy and Brielle had both first and fourth period together, but they were too busy first period to even spark a conversation. Their teacher assigned them a two-paged worksheet that required them to pull answers from out of the text books he issued, to insure that his students stayed busy.

In Journalism, their teacher had nothing for them but to take notes on his presentation about writing in AP style. The rest of the class period was theirs unless they wanted to get a head start on the other assignment he assigned, but is not technically due until Friday. The assignment was to find a news story, and write a paragraph reaction to it.

Brielle planned on starting early, but Quincy kept her from getting around to it.

"You know that's not due until Friday right?" Quincy reminded Bre as she hopped on to one of the computers available.

"You know Friday is only two days from now right?" she replied.

"He said it only has to be a paragraph," Quincy laughed. "You can easily find a news story Friday and write the paragraph before this class."

"What if I want to do it so I can get it out the way? Is that okay with you Mr. Hanley?"

"I was just saying," Quincy chuckled, throwing his hands up in capitulation.

"So I'm guessing you one of them kids who procrastinate and don't do they work until the last minute," guessed Brielle, scrolling down CNN's home page to find a story to do her assignment on.

"Sometimes," he shrugged.

"That's not good to do your work until the last minute," she reminded him.

He shrugged again. "But I'm still gone graduate though."

"With academic honors?" asked Brielle.

"No, i'm not graduating with academic honors. I would like to though. I'm not smart enough for that shit. I'm smart, but not that smart."

"Sure you are. Don't put yourself down like that. Believe in yourself. If you say you aren't smart enough, you'll start to believe it. And doing the assignments the day they're due isn't something that someone who wants to graduate with academic honors would do. It's not that hard to obtain at a school like this dump," said Brielle.

"Well I'm a procrastinator, I can't help it," admitted Quincy. "But either way, I get shit done. Believe that."

"That's good," Brielle laughed. "As long as you get it done that's all that matters. Break old ways though, and start new and healthy habits. If you tell yourself you won't be a procrastinator anymore, you'll get a lot more shit done."

Quincy nodded, as he sat there and stared at her for a moment through her square frame glasses.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Brielle chuckled, shyly looking away.

"No reason," he smiled.

Quincy liked the way she thought, and the fact that she knew what she was talking about. Although he barely knew her, yet, he knew she wasn't like the other girls at Crenshaw who had nothing going for themselves, didn't take school serious, and just craved attention. Brielle had a good head on her shoulders, knew her worth, and where she wanted to go in life.

Brielle rolled her eyes as she slightly blushed.

"Can I ask you something?" asked Quincy, still smiling.

"Boy you ask if you can ask me a question every damn day," Brielle laughed.

"I can't help it," Quincy shrugged.