Chapter 10

Never in a million years did Quincey think he would have ever done what he did last night.

After sending that text message to Trigg, he knew there was no turning back, even if he wanted to. One simple text turned into an hour long conversation over the phone. It would have been longer if Quincey wouldn't have reminded him that he had school the next day, plus football practice.

Gavin kept him up all night, running down the rules of the game and sharing crazy experiences and stories.

Some of them were so crazy Quincey wish he never would have texted him in the first place. But, he did, and there was no undoing his actions. He was in it for a good reason, but felt deep down inside that the result of his decision wouldn't turn out good - in more ways than one.

Quincey could hardly sit still. He couldn't think of anything besides what awaited at the end of the school day besides practice. Trigg had dropped hints last night to what all would be going down when they met up to officially shake on things, but didn't reveal much.

He didn't let Quincey know detail for detail what all would be happening in their meeting - and that's what killed him.

He didn't know what to expect. How to prepare. He just prayed for the best and hoped everything went smoothly. But knowing that anything could happen, the thought didn't sit well on his stomach.

Nobody knew about the meeting that he had scheduled after school with him, and Quincey didn't plan on telling anybody either, even if he wanted to. Gavin's own sister, Quincey's girlfriend, wasn't even allowed to know.

"What's wrong with you?" Bre suddenly asked him, pushing her computer mouse to the side before looking at Quincey suspiciously.

The two of them were in the Journalism class that they had together. They were suppose to be looking up articles online about yellow journalism, but Quincey was the only one who couldn't focus.

His computer wasn't even on.

He had been doing so good since Bre had first helped him with his work after the incident with his hand. However, ever since he received the news of his mother's current health, he started to slip back into his old ways.

"What you taking bout?" he questioned, pretending to be clueless.

She looked at him for a good moment as if she was trying to study him.

"You've been staring off into space since the period first started and you even zoned out first period. What's up?"

Quincey simply shook his head, not wanting to say the wrong the thing. He knew he couldn't tell her what exactly was on his mind, but didn't want to lie to her either. So he decided to keep quiet.

Bre sucked her teeth in frustration, still trying to get an answer out of him.

"Really Quincey?"

"What boo?"

"Talk to me. I hate seeing you hurt and holding everything inside," Bre frowned.

Quincey suddenly looked at her, slightly touched by her words. He appreciated the fact that he cared but he knew he still had to keep his lips locked. He felt bad for hiding something from her, but he had to do what he had to do for now.

"Thanks baby," Quincey replied with a smile. "But I'm fine, really."

She gave him a 'yeah right' look before deciding to drop the situation and leave him alone about it.

"I guess," she sighed grabbing her computer mouse to get back to work.

"Bre look at me," Quincey blurted.