Chapter 23

Quincey woke up to the sound of a heart monitor by his bedside. The machine beeped every few seconds, displaying his heart rate on the screen. An IV, along with other things- was plugged into him as he blinked, realizing where he was.

The last thing he remembered was the party. He remembered all the details up until when the actual bullet was shot. He couldn't remember what happened afterwards or how he even ended up in the hospital.

Blinking again, his eyes scanned the room. There was a total of four people in the room with him. Terrell, Donovan, and the two people he was afraid to see - Brielle and his mom. He could only imagine the mouth full they had for him.

Something told him not to go to that party. He knew he should have stayed home. But in reality, he didn't. Now he had to face and live with the consequences- a gun shot to one of his hands, and disappointment from Bre and his mom.

Terrell and Donovan were on a small couch directly at the end of the bed in plain sight. Terrell was on his phone, and Donovan was watching television. Brielle was in the far corner of the room staring out the window with her arms folded. She looked angry- an expression from her he had never seen before. Lastly, his mother was on the uncomfortable pull out chair on the side of his bed sleeping.

Terrell suddenly looked up, noticing that Q was woke. He nudged Donovan, getting up to make his way over to him.

"Bout time you finally woke up," Rell blurted loudly, causing Bre to look over in their direction.

She quickly looked at him, then at the boys, rolling her eyes before staring back out the window.

"We been here all day bro," Donovan added with a look of hurt in his eyes. "Man what happened? The moment T called me I was over here as soon as I could get here."

"I don't even remember myself," I admitted. "T what happened?"

"Some nigga looking for Trigg held the party hostage and pulled a pistol out on Q," Terrell explained to Donovan. "He guessed since he couldn't find him he would take the next thing closest to him."

"But you don't even kick it with Trigg like that," Donovan pointed out.

"Exactly."

"Man you gotta watch who you be around. Eyes are everywhere."

"Yeah I know that now," I sighed. "My body still feel weird. I can't believe this shit real."

"The bullet only went to the hand though. It could have been worse," Terrell pointed out. "The doctors came in here earlier and said that your lucky."

"Why?"

"Well anywhere to take a bullet is a bad spot, but they said the hand is the best place to take one. Plus, even that you got off lucky. They said the bullet didn't go completely through. If it would have, there would have been way much more damage to the bones in your hand."

"Damn," Quincey sighed in relief. "Wow."

"Yeah so they said just give the hand time and it'll eventually heal. They patched you up and everything earlier while you were sleep. They made all of us leave the room."

Quincey looked down at his hand, noticing a thick roll of white bandage covering it. His hand looked almost mummy like.

"They said they're gonna send you home with one of those cast braces shit," he added.

"Well that's good the bullet didn't do much."

"Yeah. God saved your ass. Your mom has been up crying and praying since you got here. She eventually cried herself to sleep."