Chapter 17

When Quincey woke up the next morning, he found his mom already gone. Guessing she went to church by herself, he decided to go somewhere as well.

He figured he would call Bre and do something, but he then remembered that all the money he had left of Friday's paycheck was spent last night at The Writer's Block.

She was also at church.

Next, he called both Terrell and Donovan, but neither one answered. Then the thought of Jay Rock popped in his mind. Figuring he could go and record some material he was itching to get out and to Punch, he decided to start his day.

Once showering and getting dressed, he texted his mom, letting her know where he would be at, then was on his way. Remembering how to get there from last time, it didn't take him hardly as long to get there.

The woman at the front desk let him in without a problem, and he took no time making his way to the actual studio room. Once there, he found only three people in the room. A little girl, SZA, and Jay Rock himself.

SZA was on the computer which sat the sound table, while the little girl sat on a laptop on one of the lounge couches. Rock himself was in the actual booth, recording, most likely for his second studio album - Quincey thought.

All three turned their attention to him, but SZA was the only one to acknowledge him. Jay Rock got back to work, and the little girl continued what she was doing on the laptop. The girl was most likely playing computer games.

"Hey Quincey," SZA greeted him with a smile.

"What's up," Quincey smiled back, giving her a quick hug before taking a seat on the couch next to the little girl. "Who's this?"

"Rock's daughter. Jayla say hi."

"Hi," the little girl replied, not looking up from the computer.

"Kids and their games," SZA chuckled with a roll of her eyes.

"It's Stardoll," Jayla corrected her.

"My bad," she apologized, throwing up her hands.

Quincey laughed with a shake of his head. "What are you two working on?

"He's working on his next project, and I'm looking at footage from a small performance I did last night."

"Where at?"

"This place called The Writers Block."

"Oh yeah, I thought you looked familiar," Quincey sucked his teeth, making the connections.

"Oh shit, you was there?"

"Yeah, I saw Rock too."

"Yeah we went together. We just don't have material together yet to perform together."

"Y'all better get on it then." Q laughed. "Y'all both did good though."

"Thankyou," SZA smiled. "You perform there too?"

"Nah."

"Why not? If you grabbed the attention of Punch, obviously you have some talent."

"I don't know," Quincey shrugged. "I've actually never did a show. I just make music."

"Stage fright?"

"Just a little bit," he chuckled.

"You better get over that bitch. I'll tell you what. We can make some dope ass music together and perform it at The Writers Block together."

"Sounds good to me," Quincey smiled.

"What brings you in today anyways?"

"I thought I would come and record some shit I wrote. I was hoping Punch would be here to help me and listen."

"He'll be in later. He's coming to check up on Rock and his progress."

Like SZA had said, Punch came after awhile to check in on Rock. Whatever he was recording sounded pretty good to Quincey. He was talented no lie, he just apparently didn't like Q for some odd reason. Quincey wasn't about to ride his nuts though. He would bring what he has to the table regardless.

After greeting Quincey, Punch listened to what Rock recorded then gave him a few pointers. Rock then went back into the booth and Punch mixed the final product. Rock then left the studio only saying bye to Punch and SZA, and taking his daughter Jayla with hm.

Punch then looked at the footage from both SZA and Rock's performance at TWB, and complemented them both. Not a bad thing to say. He then focused on Quincey, happy to see him back at the studio.

"What's up Q," Punch dapped him up with a hand shake.

"Nothing much, thought I would record some shit I had for you. See if you fucking with it or not."

"Punch, I actually was just talking to him about how we could do a song together," SZA added.

Punch sat there for a while, looking as if he was thinking about what she had just said. A smile then spread across his face as he snapped his fingers. Apparently he liked her idea.

"That's just the thing, actually," he admitted. "SZA is pretty big, getting some buzz on her. A lot of the fans of the others watching what her and another member, Isaiah, next move is going to be. Lets get you on a song and people will be like Hold up Punch, who this raw ass nigga?"

Quincey laughed as he saw where he was coming from. He liked the idea, and with Punch being Punch, he knew that he knew what he was doing. He mentored Kendrick Lamar among the others for crying out loud!

What ever Punch wanted him to do he would do with no hesitation.

______________________

a.n. | Quincey obviously wasn't the last person signed to the label, and I have no clue if Jay Rock's daughter name is actually Jayla, but you get the point.