Chapter 38

Never in a million years did Quincey think that he would have to bury his own mother. She feared, on numerous occasions, that it would be the other way around, but it wasn't. They didn't have much family, but Quincey did want her to have a nice funeral. Nearly all of the money had had left over from paying off her bills that he had earned from Trigg, was spent paying for a nice casket and tombstone for her.

The funeral was held at the church they attended before she got sick. Quincey hadn't stepped foot inside in years, but they were kind enough to let him hold the service there. A few church members, Bre, their next door neighbor, Ashante, Terrell and Donovan, along with his new TDE family and a few others from his football team, were in attendance.

He didn't expect a big turn out, but was appreciative of those who did show. From pitching in to purchase flowers to helping him organize and set up the day so it could go by smoothly, Quincey received a lot of support as well. Because he didn't know how to conduct a proper service, nor did he want to be there all day, the funeral only lasted a couple of hours.

Soon after, they held the burial ceremony. Quincey thought that seeing his mother laying inside the casket before they closed it was the hardest part. But he thought wrong. Watching her get lowered into the ground, saying his finally goodbye, is what took the cake.

How was he suppose to live without his mother? She was all that he had? She was his best friend. Now she was gone. The first few years of his life was spent by her taking care of him. The last few years were spent by him taking care of her. Now his final years of life were to be spent by taking care of himself.

-

Once both the funeral and the burial had taken place, Quincey decided to go out for dinner. Not only was he hungry, but he also had to keep in mind that life needed to move on. He wasn't forgetting about his mother, but rather learning to keep moving forward. If he didn't, he knew that things would only become worse.

If anything, he thought about them going out to dinner afterwards was a way to celebrate. A way to celebrate her to life. If anything, he knew that was what his mom wanted him to do. He knew that she would want for him to remain happy and strong from her instead of crying over her death.

The only ones who didn't show up for the funeral was Trigg and Rock. Quincey was even shocked that Roland and Jesus came. However, he wasn't too surprised that Gavin and Rock didn't come. But he was surprised that Rock did show up for their dinner outing and even approached him for a few words.

"Q can I speak to you real quick?" he asked once he had arrived.

The others had already taken a seat at their table and beg inning to look over the menu when Rock decided to join them. Quincey had no interest in exchanging words with him, considering there was nothing to be talked about, but he agreed anyways. Getting up from his seat, they walked back towards an area near the bathrooms in the restaurant before Quincey raised an eyebrow to see what he wanted.

"You might think it's bullshit," Rock breathed "And you don't even have to accept my apology. But I wanted to apologize for any tension that hot built up between us."

He was right. Quincey did think that it was bullshit but he did forgive him. Not for him, but for himself. He wasn't going to hold any grudges. Quincey was ready to move on if he was.

"I appreciate it," Quicney nodded before sharing a dap with him.

"Oh and I think that it's important to let you know that ya little friend finally got caught by the law," Rock informed him.

"What you mean?" Quincey asked.

"Trigg got locked up the other day."

"What?" Quincey why half laughed.

"Yeah," Rock laughed. "I caught his ass the other day."

Quincey was surprised that Roland or Jesus didn't tell him. He was curious to know if Bre was aware. He was curious to know if their mom knew and how she felt about it. But at the end of the day, he could care less. He was happy that he was behind bars - even if Roland or Jesus do come up with the money to bail him out.