Chapter 13

Today was like any other day. Flirting with Brielle, a Chemistry project with Donovan, study hall with Ashante, and the rest of his schedule being boring and dragged out as usual.

The school day itself seemed to have gone by pretty quickly for Quincy. Before he knew it, it was time to get ready for practice. Which, of course, reminded him of his fees.

The fees were due Friday.

He planned on paying the full $200 with his first pay check from the diner, but he wouldn't get that until Friday. Meaning, he wouldn't be able to pay them until Monday.

After changing into practice clothes, the boys got straight to work. The coach wanted them to have a successful season this year so he took practice seriously.

Once completing their stretch, exercises, and drills, practice was over before Quincy and the boys knew it. Their coach actually ended practice early, giving the boys more time to change back into their clothes, then calling a short meeting to order before releasing them.

"As you all know," the coach started.

"This wonderful program here at Crenshaw that we're proud to call our football team, is a great opportunity for the young men on our campus. Being apart of our team is an awesome way to jump start your football career and build healthy relationships with other team mates. In addition, this is a positive activity for our young men to be apart of after school, instead of being on the streets or participating in nothing at all."

There was silence before he continued.

"But as you all know, it unfortunately costs to play. We as a school just do not have the money to buy new equipment, and uniform for 15 plus students, and give out for free. The cost to play in past years were as high as $1,000. Two hundred is really a great deal. You guys have been knowing about the cost of this years fees since the last week of school last year. You had all summer, plus last and this week to accumulate the full $200. The fees are due this Friday paid and full. If you do not pay, you will not receive a uniform."

He sucked his teeth as he clapped his hands before rubbing them together.

"And, I think that's it. Quincy I need to speak to you before you go, everyone else you are dismissed."

Everyone grabbed their things as they made their way out the locker room. Numerous lockers were heard being shut as tons of conversations sparked. The coach waited until the noise died down and everyone cleared out, before speaking up.

"You have known that the fees are due this Friday, correct?"

"Yes sir," Quincy replied.

"Everyone has made payments except for you. Do you plan on paying your fees by this Friday?"

"About that. Can I set up a payment arrangement?"

"I plan on ordering everything tonight. How long are you talking? You've had all summer Mr. Hanley." he sighed.

"Only until Monday. I don't get paid until this Friday sir."

"So you couldn't put aside one of your pay checks ahead of time?"

"I just recently got this job sir."

"Oh, well I apologize."

"You're fine."

"So where are you employed at?"

"Joy's Diner."

"Really? I love that place. I'll make sure to stop by and put in a good word for you. Leave you an extra tip."

"Right on."

"I'll tell you what, you can pay Monday, but that's it. You have to have the money Monday, no exceptions. It's not fair that I'm giving you extra time and not the others."

"Thank you sir. I'll have the money Monday."

"You know," he started. "You're one of the best receivers I've had since I've been here coaching Crenshaw's football team."

"Thank you sir."

"I don't know if you plan on going into professional football, and playing as a career or not, but I certainly don't want to lose you as a member on this team."

"I don't want to not be able to play either. I'll have my money Monday sir."

"I sure hope so," he smiled. "But that's all I wanted. Have a good rest of the day Mr. Hanley."

"You too sir."

With that, Quincy grabbed his things and made his way out the locker room. Once meeting the boys outside, he told them what coach called him after for, then they were on their way - with Quincy dropping the boys off.

Once dropping the boys off, Quincy stopped at the corner store before making his way home. He normally picked up a package of swishers,but today he didn't need any. He instead picked up a soda.

Before making his way home though, he ran into Trigg.

"What's up fam?" Trigg greeted him with a dap.

"Shit, nothing," Quincy replied, returning the dap.

"You still fucking with football?"

"Yeah, I just got back from practice actually."

"That's wassup. You paid them fees yet? You know Crenshaw be up in niggas asses bout they money," Trigg asked with a laugh.

"Not yet," Q admitted.

"Ain't the mothafucka due this Friday?"

"Yeah, but I don't get paid until this Friday."

"So what you gone do?"

"Pay them bitches Monday."

"I guess shit revolve around Q," he joked.

"I guess so."

"You know if you ever need help with anything as far as money or anything, don't be afraid to ask. You know you my homie."

Quincy nodded, "Right on. I appreciate it, but I want to get shit on my own. I don't ever want a nigga to be able to say 'if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have ..'."

"Ah, I feel you," Trigg replied. "I respect that."

"But I gotta get going and cook dinner for my moms."

"Awn mama's boy," Trigg joked. "That's cute. But aye what you doing next Friday?"

"Um, I don't know, why what's up?"

"I'm having a party, slide through."

"Your last party got shot up, and now niggas wanted by the law and you having another one?"

"Them weak ass bloods aint making no noise. My shit gone be in a different location this time, and I'm gone have security too."

"Mhm. I'll see."

"Alright then fam. Just let me know."

"Alright then, I'll hit you up later."

"Coo, coo."

They dapped each other one last time before going their separate ways.