Chapter 18- Andrew

Začít od začátku

"Do I look like I mind dying?" he joked.

Chloe bit her lip, as if she was thinking it over. "When do we leave?" she asked.

#

Andrew entered the training room, going over to his punching bag and taking a good, hard swing. His hand ached when it connected to the material but he felt the tension rising from his shoulders. 

He didn't tell the team Majesty had her people in the hotel, didn't warn them when he gave out Lee and Cassandra's location. He had brought them the empty briefcase.

He only told Philips about Cassandra and Lee hoping they'd escape and he didn't know the briefcase was empty when he took it, but he should've known better. He needed to be smarter and see through the trick. Majesty doesn't make mistakes. 

If eh was going to try and help them, he needed to be smart and he couldn't lose his calm.

George was at the meeting and when he comes in, Andrew—

"Jackson."

Andrew didn't turn around when he heard George's voice.He kept punching the bag, until he felt a pull on his shirt. He fell to the ground, George holding an elbow under his throat. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you."

"I didn't know she had that vile. She didn't tell us."

"Next time, you make her tell you. You listen and you report."

Andrew said nothing and rose to his feet.

"I hope you understands what will happen if you don't report to me and if you try to help them. I'm sending you to New York to stop her."

"New York?" Andrew asked, but George dismissed it.

"Do you want to know how Maya's doing? Do you want me to tell you how she pleads for me to kill her, how she pleads that I spare you and let you go? She had such a change of heart since she brought you."

Andrew closed his eyes. "I already said I'll go with them, you can stop."

George smirked. "I knew you'd listen to reason."

This isn't reason. This is madness, he thought. But he'd do it anyway.

#

Cassandra closed the door to the bedroom, dropping on the bed. She said nothing, watching Andrew as he read, squinting at his bedside lamp. "Do you ever do anything other than read?"

"Not really." Reading had been his passion since he was a little kid. It helped him detach from reality. He needed that more and more these days.

"Where did you even get those books? Phi doesn't have," She read the title of his action novel. "Phi definitely doesn't have those."

Andrew closed the book, knowing he wouldn't be able to focus when Cassandra was around. "My mentor got them for me before she died," he lied. The lie rolled off his tongue so easily. Maya wasn't dead but for the moment, it would be better if she was. Andrew felt a pang of guilt at his thoughts.

"That's nice."

He listened to her pace around the room, packing.

"Do you trust Snakehead?" he blurted. If he was going to go against Phi, he hoped he could find something to drive him forward. A reason that Snakehead was somehow worse than Majesty, worse than the man torturing his fiancée, worse than a double agent.

She stopped. "Should I?"

"That's not an answer."

She lowered the pile of clothes in her hands into a duffel on the bed. "The primary assumption in this business is that you shouldn't trust anyone. I need his resources and he needs my knowledge." She looked at him.