Chapter Twentyone

Amara POV...

I walk with Monse, Ruby and Jamal as they talk about the ultimatum.

Me:How come I wasn't asked?

Monse:Because I know you'd pick Cesar...

Me:*laughs* why'd you say that? Because I dated his brother or because he's my best friend?

Monse:Both. And you don't seem to like me as much.

Me:Girl I love you! You've always just been on the fence so I let you stay there because you were comfortable. You're like the little sister I've always wanted. Even if she's a few inches taller than me. I agree with why you'd be mad. But you also have to see where he's coming from. But real friends don't pick sides. I would hang out with both, without bringing the other up. No problems.

Monse:I didn't know.

Me:Of course, remember I went and got in Oscar's face for you.

We laugh but ruby pushes us back as the police trucks speed around the corner.

We rush to school and Jasmine shows us the clips of the prophets getting arrested. Good. But I notice ruby being silent.

Monse:You okay?

Ruby:I guess it's just pretty surreal. I thought about this day for so long, praying for revenge. But this... This doesn't make me feel anything. It's not gonna bring her back. I mean what's the point of it all? Latrelle took a life. Now his life's over. And look at us. The second we're not worrying about Cesar's death, we're sweating the small stuff. We lost sight of the bigger picture. How lucky we are to be alive and with each other. I don't know how to explain how I feel. But I do know... It's time to move on.

Monse:Agreed... I'm leaving freeridge.

I turn to her and she looks at me.

Monse:I'm starting boarding school at the end of summer.

Cesar:Wait what? Your serious?

Monse:I'm not talking to you.

Cesar:But you forgave me.

Monse:I changed my mind.

Lord this girl here!

Monse:Anyway I finally realized that it doesn't matter if any of you are on team Monse because I'm team Monse. And that's all I need. So... I'm out.

I'm happy she realizes that she doesn't need these three to be herself but really boarding school? Who wants to live at their school? I want to go to university but man it's gonna be a struggle knowing I'm probably going to be on campus more than not.

Jamal:Okay.

Ruby:Good luck.

Monse:Okay? Good luck?

Ruby:Yeah, you've left before.

Jamal:Writing camp, Brentwood. This is schmuck bait. You always come back.

Monse:Not this time.

Me:So you won't be coming back during breaks?

Monse:Probably, if my dad's here. I'm gone for good. Things just aren't the same around here. And I think we've outgrown each other.

Jamal:Ruby what kind of smacks you got at home? Did your mom get that good spinach did from Costco?

Me:Jamal! She's serious.

Ruby:No, better she the jalapeño artichoke.

Cesar:Oh, that extra creamy one that you gotta use the thick chips for?

Ruby:Oh she picked those up, too!

Monse:I'm serious!

Jamal:So are we. That dip's bomb, Amara you gotta try it.

Me:Boy hush.

Monse:Are you even listening to me? I'm really out of here I'm done with the gangs and bullshit and the non stop drama that you always get me into.

That last part can be argued.

Ruby:We get you into?

Monse:Yeah, you.

Ruby:Good bye.

Me:Yall are so dramatic.

Jamal:No, no, no, no you should not say goodbye. Cause I want to buh-bye.

Monse:Assholes. I'll talk to you later Amara.

Me:Alright... You want me to walk with you?

Cesar :Hey, hey let's all just breath.

Monse:*clapping* shut up no one is talking to you!

Cesar:Okay, we'll see you when you get back.

Monse:yeah Goodluck trying to survive on your own. Without me you guys are done. There'll be no one to save you.

Ruby:We don't need you we have Amara. And she has a car.

Me:Nope don't do that. Ruben. Shut up.

Monse:I hope I never see any of you again... Besides Amara.

I hug her and she starts to stomp away I roll my eyes and look at her leave as the guys talk shit. Soon I feel something cover my face and I start to scream but I'm thrown into a truck or something and they pull off. Soon I hear Monse scream and she's next to me.

Me:Monse!

Monse:Amara!

Guy:Shut up!

Me:Fuck you!

I feel something Land on my head and I pass out.

.