Chapter Fourteen

Amara POV...

My mom takes a picture of me every other movement I make. I roll my eyes and look at her.

Mom:This is your first dance! You never went to them in Chicago! You look amazing!

Me:Thank you ma. I gotta go okay? I'm supposed to be picking up Monse and Cesar.

Mom:Alright be safe text me when you get there.

Me:Will do.

I kiss her cheek and grab my stuff before walking out. I text both people and Monse says they are already ready.

By the time we get to the dance it's in full swing. I walk to meet Alexa and the other girls who hug me and we complement each other on the outfits.

Me:Tyrone looking at you gurl!

He nods at me and I nod back and point to Alexa he licks his lips and nods. I turn her around and push her towards him. I turn around and see the gang talking and dancing but I decide to leave them alone and walk to the side...

It's been a good thirty minutes and I'm feeling really suffocated, with all the bodies and heat. I tell Alexa I am going to the store to get some fresh air and actual cold water, she nods and tells me to be safe. I grab my purse and I leave out.

I look around, it's really quiet around here when it wants to be. I see a few people out but they aren't really doing anything. Soon I make it to the store and I hear people being loud, I roll my eyes and look for my watermelon now 'n laters. I see some dudes and girls in green, prophets as soon as I make the conclusion they look at me. I see the guys whispering about something and nodding, I turn and grab some regular now 'n laters but play it off. I walk and grab my water but noticed they've gotten quiet and are watching me. I don't look back at them but I keep account of them all, I walk to the cashier and I pay for the stuff and walk out. I hear them follow me and I keep my head high, while reaching inside of my bag for my pocket knife that my mom swears is a regular knife with a cover. I get closer to the school but I have to cross an alleyway and the five are still following me. I would call someone or text but I need my self clear of all distractions. Before I can even make it to the alleyway they start running to me I turn around but only to meet a fist.

I don't even think I just grab the closest person and start punching them while trying to use them as a shield but one of them yanks my head back by my hair and I fall to the ground due to the heels. The person falls on top of me and I still try to hit but I can't due to them stomping on me and punching from different directions. I grasp the knife a little harder and start to swing it cutting anything but it just doesn't seem to work before I can black out one of the guys yells.

Boy:A message to all Santos!

Then all it takes is a straight connect to my temple and chest to make me see the back of my eyelids.

Third POV...

Amara laid on the ground, beat and cut, her once pink outfit is now red, black and a Grey color. Her breathing slowly getting weaker. Her once blowed out hair is now back in its kinked state from the sweat and water they poured on her face. Her cuts ooze blood as her soaked clothes lay on top. Her once glittered always smirking lips are now painted red and white by the kicks and punches drawn into a slight frown, her eyebrow slit down the middle. The freckles she wears used to be the only thing that littered her face, now is companyed by, blood, bruises and gashes.

As Cesar powered down the street hurt by his recent break up, he notices that glowing brown skin anywhere even if it is black and blue, he screams her name runs to her, he lifts her head up and sits it on his lap, Jamal not far behind him ran as fast as he could once he heard his only cousins name. He grabbed his phone sliding onto the ground next to his best friend who holds his true best friend. Cesar tries to wake her up but she just lays there.

Once Jamal finishes his call to 911 he calls her mom and his dad. They are on the scene first, her mom screams and cradles her only child, who may be bigger than her but none the less her baby. Her uncle checking her vitals the best he can asks them what happened. Cesar tells them how he was walking when he found her halfway in the alleyway. Her aunt calls the police again until they hear the signature sirens. She's lifted into a gurney and her mom is by her side gasping her hand that still wears the ring her father gave her at such a young age, that he swore he'd grow into. The her family rushes to the hospital. Cesar starts to text Oscar but thinks he won't even look at it and turns is phone off.

As the doctors work on the young adults wounds and stabilize her her family waits in the waiting room. Her mom in her big brother's arms as he tries to calm her down.

This goes into the night once they all fall asleep.