Chapter Eleven

Amara POV...

Me:I'm not having anything for my birthday. Everything is still fresh.

Mom:Then have a calm dinner. Trust me it may not seem like a good idea but we all need a nice sit down.

Monse:I think it's a good idea. It's still your birthday your turning seventeen it's a big deal you're one step from adult hood.

Cesar:Do it. Everyone will come.

Me:I'll decide after the funeral. Dang man...

Tyree walks into the house and hugs me. Soon we all are in the car to the church.

Time Skip.... A month...

I help my mom set the food on the tables outside, my grandma came from Chicago for my birthday, so all my family is here. Well besides my dad. I see Monse, Ruby, Tyree, Jamal and Cesar sit in the living room. My auntie and uncle still whipping up BBQ, my grandmother pulling out the pastries from the oven. I hear the someone yell the doorbell and I go and open it seeing Oscar. I may be pissed off with him but I'm glad he came, maybe he can talk to Cesar on common grounds. I hug him and he rocks me back and forth stopping us alittle to hand me a small jewelry bag. I frown and look up at him.

Me:You didn't have to get me anything.

Oscar:I know but I wanted to. You deserve it.

Me:*smiles* Come in, everyone is in the back.

I dap up some of the guys and girls I got cool with and some Ruby felt comfortable with as well. I told them to bring no weapons of any sort into my house as this is a safe place for everyone. And from the looks they all listened. Each one putting gifts on the table. Tyree had some of his people come as well that shouldn't be a problem seeing as none of his people are gang members they all just stick to themselves but everyone knows them.

I see Oscar hug Cesar and dap Jamal and Ruby. He and his four friends sit down at the other side of the lawn chairs since for some reason everyone cleared the house. I spray on some more perfume and I see my grandma tolding two cakes, I help her grabbing one.

Grandma:Girl you got on white. You'll ruin it!

Me:It's fine, it's just clothes.

Grandma:My oldest grandchild is almost grown. I can't believe it.

Me:Yeah but I'll always be your babygirl.

Grandma:Of course!

I put the food down and I look at everyone, I smile and present the food, everyone gets up and starts to serve themselves. I see ruby sorta off to the side. I decide to make his plate and sit next to him.

Ruby:Thanks Amara.

Me:No problem bro. How's the arm?

Ruby:It's getting there. How does it feel to be seventeen?

Me:Honestly? I feel the same but something tells me that I'm not.

Ruby:Do you believe it's something outside of just aging?

Me:I believe so. I mean, so much has happened, I've meet amazing people who've become my family. I'm grateful.

Ruby:Yeah, I feel the same way about you, your the big sister I've never had.

Me:Awe Ruben that means so much to me.

I hug him and kiss his cheek. He smiles and we lean on each other. I see Tyree looking at us and I also notice everyone sitting down looking at me. I raise my eyebrow.