Chapter 64--Off to LA

Start from the beginning

Soon we land and the plane pulls into the gate.  I get up to let Norman out so he can grab our bags from the overhead.  He hands me my carry-on and I put on my sunglasses as we get ready to exit the plane.  I look over at Norman who is putting on his Raybans.  He looks sexy as ever; tousled hair, button down denim shirt, and blue jeans.  I dressed almost as casual for the flight; emerald green halter maxi dress and sandals.  We exit the plane and the flight attendants bid us farewell.  Norman takes my hand in his as we walk to the gate and warns, “There will probably be a few photographers as we exit the airport.  Just hold my hand and I’ll navigate our way to our rental car, okay?”  I give his hand a squeeze letting him know I understand.  I take a deep breath as we walk out into the terminal.  We walk through LAX and head to the car rental area on the other side of Baggage Claim. 

Norman was right with his assumption that there would be paparazzi waiting.  As soon as we get to Baggage the flashes start.  I remain as relaxed as possible and put a small smile on my face, my nervousness hidden behind my Raybans.  Norman tightens the hold on my hand a little and guides me through baggage towards the rental car counter.  He gives the photographers a little acknowledgment by nodding in their direction but he doesn’t slow his pace or change his direction, even though they call his name.  We get to the rental counter and stand in the VIP line.  There are a couple people in front of us and Norman leans over to me and whispers, “Are you hanging in there darling?”  I smile, “Yup, I’m doing just fine baby.”  He grins and kisses my lips lightly, causing a round of flashes to go off.  I ignore the paparazzi and concentrate on the couple of people in front of us waiting their turn.  Norman rubs his thumb on the back of my hand as we wait.  Soon it’s our turn and Norman gives them his ID and confirmation number.  He signs the paperwork and looks over at me, “You want to sign this babe?  That way you can drive too.”  I nod and smile over at the girl behind the counter waiting on us.  I hand her my ID and sign the form.  She hands Norman a receipt and keys, as she directs us to where our car is waiting.

We walk out the doors and encounter more photographers, all vying for his attention.  He smiles at them, still holding my hand as we walk towards rental car pick-up.  One photographer with a video camera asks, “Is this your girlfriend Norman?  The one you post pictures of on Twitter?”  Norman looks at him and quickly answers, “Yes she is.”  We keep walking and soon we reach the pick-up area.  Norm hands the attendant the receipt and he checks us in.  He walks us over to a beautiful black convertible Camaro and quickly goes over the features.  He asks if we want the top down and Norman looks at me.  I give him a huge smile, “Oh Hell Yeah!”  Norman chuckles and looks at the attendant, “You heard the lady, top down!”  The attendant puts the top down and opens the passenger door for me.  I get in and Norman puts our bags in the back before getting in the driver’s seat.  I look over at him, “Please tell me this is a stick.”  He laughs, “Yes my little speed demon, it is.  How did I know you would ask that?”  I laugh, “I’m so putting this thing through its paces on the 405.”  He shakes his head, “I’m so glad I got the extra insurance on this rental.”  I laugh, “I’m gonna have so much fun with this thing!”  Norman laughs and rolls his eyes as he pulls out of the rental area. 

Norman jumps on the 110 and heads to the restaurant where we are meeting Flanery and Maeve.  I’m like a little kid, cranking up the stereo and enjoying the wind in my hair.  The 110 is pretty empty and Norman flies down the freeway, making me cheer.  He just smiles as he watches me laugh, enjoying the ride.  It takes us about twenty-five minutes to get to Downtown and Yxta Cocina Mexican restaurant, where we are having dinner.  We pull into the parking lot and Norman puts the top up after he parks.  I run a comb through my hair, trying to tame the curls.  Norman looks in the rearview mirror, running a hand through his hair.  I giggle watching him, “You look fine Norm.”  He smirks at me, “Just keeping it out of my damn face, woman.”  I grin, “Wanna borrow a hair tie?  I can put it in pigtails for ya.”  He rolls his eyes, “Naw, I think I’m good.”  He gets out of the car and walks around to let me out.  I get out of the car, putting my cell into my purse.  He shuts the door as I smooth out my dress and look around at the surrounding buildings, smiling.