Chapter 23--Norman's Place

Chapter 23—Norman’s Place

I quickly pack clothes for tomorrow and grab some jewelry off my dresser.  I take my messenger bag into the bathroom and grab my toiletries, making sure I grab my birth control pills off the counter.  I walk out into the living room and see Norman sprawled out on my sofa playing on his phone.  “Candy Crush again, babe?” I call over to him.  He nods his head, his tongue sticking slightly out of his mouth in concentration.  I smile and look for my keys.  I look over at the man on the couch and sigh to myself.  He’s so damn cute when he’s relaxed like that.  This is how I like him best; kicked-back, relaxed and just being himself, no pressures from work or his fans.  I know this side of him is one most people will never see and I smile to myself knowing that I’m lucky enough to stand here and enjoy it.

He looks up and smiles at me.  He locks his phone and stands up, heading towards me, “Are you ready to go already?”  I smile and respond, “Yup, did you think I would take hours to pack a bag?”  He shrugs his shoulders, “Umm usually it takes girls a while to get ready.”  I roll my eyes, “You really need to stop dating High Maintenance Barbie Dolls.”  He nods in agreement, “I agree.  Since I’m taken, I don’t have to worry about that anymore, do I?”  I laugh and kiss his cheek, “Nope, you’re good sweetheart.”  He smiles at me and points to the bag, “Did you pack pants for tomorrow or are you still wearing a dress because of your bruises?”  I look at him with a perplexed look, “Umm yeah, leggings.  Why?”  Norm reaches over and pushes a lock of my hair behind my ear, “I was thinking of taking my bike to work tomorrow and thought you might want to ride with me.”  I grin like a Cheshire cat, “Oh yes I would!  Let me grab better shoes and a jacket, I’ll be right back!”  I head back to my room and grab my leather jacket and a pair of boots that will look great with my leggings.  

I head out to the front porch where he’s waiting for me, my helmet in his hand.  I lock the front door and walk to my van to grab my work ID badge.  We jump in the Jeep and head to his place.  I text my kids real quick and tell them to give me a call tonight before 11pm.  I look up from my phone just as we pull into his driveway.

Norman parks and I get out.  He’s coming around the Jeep as I close the door, “I would have gotten the door for you.”  I smile and take his hand in mine, “It’s OK, I’m not used to being spoiled.”  He squeezes my hand, “There’s a difference between manners and spoiling you, though I’m planning on spoiling you too.”  I groan, “You don’t have to do that.”  He pulls my hand to his mouth and kisses the back of it, “I know but I want to.”  He lets go of my hand to unlock the door and ushers me in, “Ladies first.”  I walk in and Norman takes our bags to his room.  I walk into the kitchen and see Eye in the Dark sitting on the floor by the French doors leading out onto the side deck.  Eye gets up and weaves in between my legs, I squat down and scratch under Eye’s chin, “Hi there Eye, I bet you’re glad to have your Daddy back huh?  Sorry I’ve monopolized his time the last few days, I promise I won’t step on your territory, OK?”  Eye starts to purr and I scratch that spot under the chin that cats love just a little harder.  “Ya like that, hmmm?  I’m a sucker for cats so whenever you want attention just find me, OK?”  Eye just purrs louder and rubs against my knee.  I look up and notice Norman leaning on the kitchen island staring at me.  I smile up at him, not stopping the attention I’m giving Eye, “How long have you been watching me?” 

He smiles down at me, “Long enough to know you like cats enough to talk to them.”  I run my hand down Eye’s body from head to tail and stand up, “I like most animals and I’m dorky enough to talk to them too.  I grew up on a farm, so talking to animals and forming a bond with them is second nature.  They tend to understand more than most people think.”  He nods his head, “I agree.  I talk to Eye all the time.  Sometimes Eye actually listens.”  I laugh, “Cats listen?  That’s a funny one.  I love cats and have had them all my life.  One thing I have learned is they do what they want, when they want.  If we humans are lucky, it just happens to be what we wanted them to do at the time.”  He nods in agreement and laughs.