Chapter 3--Not a Hero

Chapter 3—Not a Hero

I wake up and get dressed.  Just a simple black Maxi sundress with beige lace insets.  It shows off some cleavage but the lace covers anything that would be too risqué.  I leave my hair down running a brush through it. It’s a simple part off to the side and the wavy curls keep it from hanging directly in my face.  I lightly hairspray it to make sure it doesn’t hang in my eyes.  One of these days I should go back to bangs. A little SPF lotion on my face, a bit of eyeliner and I am ready.  I grab my strappy black flat sandals and go downstairs to check out.

I head out to meet my Landlord and do a quick inspection of the place.  My cabin is located on a little dirt side street outside of town about 15 minutes from the studio grounds.  My place is small with 3 bedrooms but it is clean and has Central Air.  I get my keys, sign the papers, and put away the small bag of groceries I got on my way here.  My mattresses are delivered with enough time to make my appointment at the studio offices.

I finally got done all that paperwork for my new Job.  I picked up my ID badge on my way out and decided to head back to downtown Senioa and explore a little.  I parked my van in the city parking lot and grab my purse.  First stop, some coffee and then to wander around.  I headed down Main Street to Senioa Coffee Company.  The coffee I had last night was excellent and I was craving more.  As I head out onto the street with my hot coffee, I’m surprised to see a good amount of people on the sidewalk.  The Walking Dead doesn’t actually start filming for a week or two but pre-production work starts Monday and the cast has been arriving.  With the cast, comes the fans and they are definitely here in Senioa.   All of them hoping to catch a glimpse of their favorite cast member.

 I drink my coffee and walk down the street.  I got some recommendations from the girl at the coffee shop and I’m heading to do some shopping.  I reach the intersection and wait for the light with several other people.  Across the street I see a motorcycle pull up to the curb and the rider get off.  He’s wearing jeans and a tee shirt.  He pulls off his helmet and I realize it’s Norman.  Just as I see him, so does the little girl (maybe 8 or 9 yrs. Old) standing near me on the sidewalk.  She yelps “It’s Daryl!” and runs into the street, right into traffic.  I step out into the intersection without thinking and reach out with my right hand and grab the little girl’s shirt collar.  I pull her back and toss her up on the curb, out of danger.  As I look back to see if she is safe, I feel a bone jarring slam into my left hip and leg.  It knocks me to the ground, my coffee and purse go flying.  Everything gets a little fuzzy and woozy and I have a hard time focusing.

As I begin to focus again I realize there is a crowd of people around me.  Many are asking if I’m OK and telling me to lay still and wait for the Ambulance.  I push my hair out of my face and look over at the little girl.  She is cradled in her mother’s arms, crying.  “Is she alright?”  I ask.  Her Mom replies, “Yes, she’s just got a scraped knee and is a little shaken up.  Thank you so much for saving my baby.”  I smile slightly, “It was nothing special, you’re welcome.”

I try to gather myself and sit up but a shooting pain courses through my left leg.  An older gentleman says, “Honey stay still, we’ve called 911.”  “Why? I’m fine, really” It comes out more like a groan then the tone I intended.  “Dear, you got hit by a car and you need to stay put” he responds.  “Oh, yeah” I mutter.  Great, so much for an uneventful day.

Still I attempt to sit up and assess my situation without much luck, my leg is killing me.  I look down at my leg but my long dress is covering all but my ankle, so unless I pull it up I won’t be able to tell what damage has been done.  I’m not really sure I want to look at it because it hurts like a bitch.  Someone kneels down to me and I hear a raspy voice, “Please babe, just stay still until the EMT’s look at you.”  He reaches out and takes my hand in his, rubbing his thumb over the back of my hand.  I look up and into a pair of sunglasses.  I know that face, it’s Norman.  I swallow hard realizing he’s the one holding my hand, “Umm, OK” I sigh.

The EMT’s make their way over to me and push back the now forming crowd.  A young dark haired medic crouches down to me and starts looking me over.  He gently pulls up my dress to look at my leg.  Oh yeah, this isn’t embarrassing, laying in the street with my dress pulled up to my hip, with a crowd of strangers and Norman Reedus staring at me.  Yup, lovely!

The EMT is now asking me questions and I’m really trying to focus on what he is saying.  That’s not easy considering the pain, my embarrassment over the situation, and the fact that Norman is still holding my hand.  “Miss can you understand me?” the medic asks.  “Umm, yeah I do” I squeak out.  “OK then can you tell me what happened?” he questions.  “I stepped out into traffic and got hit by a car” I say.  “Did you do it on purpose Miss?”  I reply, “Kind of, but not exactly.”  A voice from the crowd says, “She jumped in front of the car and pulled the little girl out of the way, she’s a hero.”  With that the girl’s Mom says, “she saved my baby girl.”  Another EMT heads over to the girl to take a look at her scraped knee.

The EMT attending to me starts asking me a series of questions, trying to determine if I hit my head.  “What is your Name?”  I respond, “Jenna Montgomery.”  “What day is it Miss?”  I look up at him and say “Thursday May 15th, 2014.”  “Do you know where you are?” he asks.  “Senioa Georgia, but don’t ask me what street because I just moved here yesterday.”  He chuckles, “That’s fine.”  “Do you have anyone with you today?”  “Umm, no I moved down here by myself” I tell him.  “OK I’m going to touch your leg and see if it is broken, it may hurt a bit” he says looking down at me.  “Lovely” I respond with a groan.  Norman, who’s been with me the whole time, looks me in the eye and quietly whispers, “It will be OK, just relax.”  I look into his Raybans and just nod my head.  Damn, I can’t even manage a sentence, he makes me so nervous.  Smooth Jenna, I think to myself.

As I’m being poked and prodded by the EMT, a police officer comes over with a notepad to ask me questions.  “Miss, I need to get some information from you before they take you to the hospital” the officer says to me.  “What? I’m fine, really” I blurt out.  Norman looks at me over his sunglasses, giving me an “are you kidding?” look.  The EMT cuts in before Norman says anything, “Miss I can’t tell if your hip is broken, so you’ll need X-rays.”  I just roll my eyes in defeat.

For the first time I notice what exactly hit me.  I look up at the car’s grill realizing I got smacked by a Prius.  I blurt out loudly, “I got hit by a freakin’ Prius?  You got to be kidding!  There is NO WAY I’m ever telling anyone. This will never EVER be a cool story!”  Everyone is staring at me now and someone, I think the EMT starts laughing.  Soon everyone is laughing at my outburst, including Norman.

The Cop clears his throat, and smiles down at me, “I still have some questions.  The driver says you stepped out and he had the light, but he hit a pedestrian, so there could be a ticket but I have to get all the information before I conclude my investigation.”  I’m shocked, “But it was not his fault, I stepped out in front of him to get the girl out of the street.  I refuse to let him be blamed for it.”  The officer sighs, “OK I understand.  I won’t give anyone a ticket but I still need some information.  I have taken some pictures and will gather up your belongings shortly.”

I look over and discover the contents of my purse are strewn on the ground.  Great, I hope nothing is broken.  The EMT’s are now loading me up on the gurney and getting ready to put me in the Ambulance.  Norman walks over to the police officer and quickly talks to him.  The officer walks over to me as they are putting me in the Ambulance and says, “Your purse and belongings will be taken over to the hospital.  I’ll get your information off your Driver’s license but I need your new address and cell number.”  I give him my information and thanked him for everything.  I look out the door as they go to shut them, the crowd is dispersing and Norman is standing on the sidewalk staring in my direction. 

 ***Feel free to comment.  :)  Thanks Angels!