Chapter 56--Recovery

Chapter 56—Recovery

Norman’s POV

The three of us have been in the waiting room for almost two hours.  The waiting is killing me.   I just want to know how she is.  Sean is doing his best to keep things upbeat.  He keeps telling Maeve funny stories from our Boondock’s filming.  Most of the time the stories are about something embarrassing that I’ve done or said.  I did tell Maeve a couple of Sean stories though, which she thought were hilarious.

I start pacing the floor again, the two of them staring at me.  “Hey Reedustein, you’re going to wear out the floor there bud” Flanery warns.  I throw my hands up, “What the hell is taking so long?”  Sean stands up, walking to me.  He puts his hand on my shoulder, “We’re all worried but I’m sure they’d let us know if something was wrong.  You want to go smoke a cigarette?”  I shake my head, “The doctor could come in any time and I want to be here.”  He nods and guides me back to the chair making me sit down.  I flop in the chair and stare at the clock on the wall, chewing on my thumb.

Another thirty minutes goes by and Dr. Vai walks in the door to the waiting room, she looks exhausted.  I start to stand up and she motions me to remain seated.  She pulls up a chair and sits down before speaking.  “Mr. Reedus we removed the cyst with no problems.  It appears normal but the biopsy will confirm everything within a few days.”  She takes a deep breath, “We had a complication as I stitched her up.  She had a rare reaction to the anesthesia and went into cardiac arrest.”

My heart drops and I feel Sean’s hand on my shoulder.  My voice breaking, “Is she alright?”  Dr. Vai slowly nods as she answers, “Yes.  She flat lined on the operating table and we had to use a defibrillator to get her back.  It was touch and go for a few minutes, but her heartbeat is strong and the rhythm has returned to normal.  She gave us quite a scare in there.”

I feel like I’ve been punched in the gut.  My mind is racing at all the possibilities that could have happened and I feel like I’m going to be sick.  The look on my face must be apparent because Dr. Vai takes my hand, “Take a deep breath Mr. Reedus, in and out.  That’s good, keep breathing just like that.  Jenna should be just fine.  We’ve counteracted the reaction to the anesthesia and she is hooked up to a heart monitor to make sure that everything is back to normal.  She is up in Cardiac Intensive Care as a precaution.  She will remain hooked up to the heart monitor as well as oxygen until tomorrow.  She is breathing on her own and her color has returned.  I don’t expect any permanent damage but I am having a Cardiac specialist see her tomorrow.”

I relax a little hearing everything she has to say.  I look over at Maeve and Sean and the look on their faces is still of worry.  I nod at Dr. Vai and ask, “Can I see her?”  Dr. Vai pats my hand, “Yes you can see her shortly.  She is still coming out of the anesthetic but she is awake.  She’ll be a little groggy for the next hour so be prepared for that.  I have made arrangements for you to stay with her tonight, if you wish.  Everyone else may see her but the visits must be short and only a couple people at a time.  She will be in pain and once she is fully awake we will adjust her Morphine levels to make her comfortable.  She will probably sleep most of today.”

I let out a sigh of relief and tell her, “Thank you for everything Dr.Vai.”  She stands up and smiles, “You are welcome.  She’s a tough cookie, because honestly not everyone survives the reaction she had.  She will have to be extremely careful in the future if she needs surgery, this could easily happen again.  I will have the nurse escort you all to Cardiac Intensive Care and I will be in to see her after I finish with my other patients today.” 

Dr. Vai leaves the waiting room and I turn to Sean and Maeve, “I need to have a cigarette.  If the nurse comes in just have her wait.”  I walk out of the waiting room and take the elevator to the lobby.  I walk outside and light my cigarette, taking a huge drag.  I exhale, trying to figure out whether I feel relief or fear over everything I’ve just been told.  I’m relieved that she will be fine but the fact that this happened and that it could happen again is tearing me up inside.  I didn’t lose her this time but I could lose her next time?  What kind of sick fucking joke is that?  I take another drag of my smoke and try to clear my head.  She’s been given a second chance and so have I.  I’m sure as hell not going to waste it.  I can’t dwell on the downside of today, I need to think positive.  I take the last drag of my cigarette and chuck it into the ashtray.  I shake off the feeling of dread I’ve had hanging on me for the last few days and walk back to the elevator.