Chapter 9--Unpacking

Chapter 9---Unpacking

I quickly call Cira and fill her in on yesterday, minus the juicy details with Norman.  I don’t think telling my 17 yr. old we were dry humping each other in my new kitchen is something she needed to know.  I did however tell her about him holding my hand while waiting for the ambulance and him camping out at the hospital.  I casually mentioned him kissing me and she shrieked into the phone.  I play it off as not a huge deal but she doesn’t believe a word I say.  She asks me if I’m his girlfriend and I tell her I have no idea and I’m just seeing how things go.  I mention for her not to tell anyone yet and just tell her siblings I met him and we’re friends.  No sense getting ahead of myself.  I quickly talk to Melanie and Travis and get a rundown of what they’ve been up to for the past few days.  I tell them all how much I miss them and love them, they respond to me with an “awe Mom you’re so mushy.”  Yup, that’s me loving, caring, mushy Mom.  I end the call and stare at my cell, I really do miss my little brats.

I set my phone down and walk over to my IPod, placing it in its dock, setting it for shuffle play, and cranking it up.  The Ramones “Pet Sematary” fills the room and I grab my towel and shower stuff heading to the bathroom.

After a nice hot shower, I wrap my towel around me and head to my bedroom.  My overnight bag is in the corner and I rummage through it looking for clothes.  I was smart enough to pack something casual for unpacking.  I throw on my cut-offs, glad that I attempted to shave my legs in the shower.  Shaving a bruised leg is harder than you think.  I grab an emerald green tank top and look into the mirror.  The cut-offs are slung low on my hips but fit well.   The tank top isn’t real long but goes to the top of the shorts.  As long as I don’t stretch my arms above my head I’m not showing off any belly.  It’s not that it looks bad or anything but I don’t want to look like I’m complete Ho.  The shorts are close to being Daisy Dukes, so that is revealing enough for one day.  I towel dry my long hair and comb out the knots.  My hair is long and really thick, so it will take a bit to dry, even on this warm Georgia day.  I fluff it a little with my fingers, letting the waves and curls cascade down my back.  Soon I will have to trim it or I will be sitting on it.  I grab my deodorant and body spray and finish with my routine.  As I head out into the hallway I grab a hair tie and put it around my wrist, I may need it later. 

I hop back to the bathroom and clean up my mess.  I left my crutches in the living room, so I’m moving slow.  Once I grab them from the living room I decide to unpack the rest of the box Norman brought inside for me.  I go back down to the bathroom to put everything away. 

Faithfully by Journey is playing now, I’m singing along lost in my own little world.  I finish putting my bathroom items away just as the song ends, I turn around and there’s Norman leaning on the bathroom door frame.  I jump, “Shit! You scared the hell outta me!”  He apologizes and reminds me I’m the one who told him to just come in when I got back.  Oh yeah, I forgot about that, duh!  “Just how long have you been standing there?” I ask.  He smiles and crosses his arms, “Long enough to know you have a beautiful singing voice.”  I look down at the floor wondering if there’s room for me to hide in the cracks in the tile, “Oh, umm thanks” I say quietly.  “Have you ever sung for an audience?  You’re really good,” He asks me being completely serious.   “Oh God NO!  I can’t sing in front of more than a handful of people, I get too nervous.  I usually just sing to my kids or to myself” I say in a small uneasy voice.  “That’s a shame you’re a really good singer” he says walking over to me.  He leans in and kisses my cheek, “Feel free to sing for me anytime you want.”  I smile and look into his eyes, “Thank you, maybe I will.  So you really want to help me unpack?”  He nods at me and we head out into the living room.  Norm’s ahead of me and as I hobble down the hallway on my crutches I can’t help but center my gaze on his ass.  It is a mighty fine looking ass too.  I wish his jeans were a little tighter though so I could see it just a bit more clearly.  Oh well I guess I’m just have to get my hands on it and see if it’s as firm as I think it is.  I sigh, what the hell I am doing?  Clearly it’s been way too long since I’ve had sex.  Once in the living room Norman pushes the ottoman over to me and points to it, “Sit!”  I look at it and hand him my crutches, before sitting down.  I look up at him.  He’s standing there arms crossed again wearing jeans and a motorcycle shop t-shirt.  His hair is still slightly damp and is slightly messy.  He must have had the top down on his Jeep.  Does this man ever look bad?  I doubt it.