44

"i think we all know why we're here

"i think we all know why we're here. the people are in a panic about hades. he almost got out." we were in our office in the castle. dad had called for us, a meeting to discuss what had happened yesterday. it was ben, mal and i with my parents and fairy godmother standing across from us. uma couldn't be here, she had to deal with summer school stuff.

"who knows what he would've done if he had escaped." fairy godmother didn't sound like her usual cheery self, it felt off. "we can't risk having another villain on the loose." father looked down, not wanting to feel fairy godmother stare at him. she didn't like people referring to jane as a villain, just a teen that was in a bad place, as she always said.

"i really feel like this is my fault. i should be able to protect auradon." i spoke up, i have to take full responsibility for anything that happens. "it's not, we should be able to protect auradon." mal looked at me. after the cotillion she promised me that she would use her dragon form to protect auradon till she grew old and weak.

"every time we open the barrier, we're exposed to danger."

"we didn't open the barrier the first time, jane did. the second attack on auradon was jane, someone who already lived in auradon. hades won't be able to hurt us from behind the barrier. once we open the barrier again for the children, we'll have guards with us ready for any attack." my dad looked at me, he knew i was right but he wouldn't admit it.

he was going to say something when i received a text. i turned around to see what it was, woah perfect timing guys.

"maleficent's scepter and the kings crown have been stolen." i said turning back to face my dad. "jane..." my mom whispered, finally saying something. "we don't know that!" fairy godmother said quickly. she would stop at nothing to defend her daughter.

"when people hear this, they will never wanna leave their houses. what do we tell them?" mother asked. we should tell them the truth, with people in their houses they don't risk the possibility of being hurt.

"bella, what do we do?" my mother asked me. whatever i had to say won't make them happy, but we can't have people out in the streets with dark magic being thrown around.

"i think that there's only one way to guarantee their safety, there can't be anymore going in and out. we have to close the barrier forever." mal said before i would say anything. she wasn't being serious right?

"no, no we can't do that. we won't do that." i looked at my parents who were agreeing with her. "honey," my mother looked at but i shook my head. "bella." my father called but i ignored. "no! i won't allow that, that's out of the question!" i told them, i didn't even want to face them. they can't be serious.

"i don't want to take away your dream, it's a beautiful dream. but as queen, your duty is to protect auradon." mal said to me but i ignored her. "the people of the isle are also my people, i'm their queen and i can't just leave them there." if uma was here, she would have my back. she would understand.

"but you know what this would mean? all those kids..." ben finally said something. i looked at my father, he wasn't this cold hearted was he?

"mal's right." my father said.

"no! we'll find a way! stand with me or against me, i'll find a way. closing the barrier for good is out of the question, doing so against my wishes can and will end in punishment." i looked at fairy godmother and my father, they need to understand that they can't and won't go behind my back and close the barrier. i left the room, i couldn't even look at them. how can mal even think that closing the barrier was our best option?