16

It was past curfew when I texted Ben

It was past curfew when I texted Ben. I simply asked him if he was awake. I couldn't sleep, I felt guilty about questioning Ben and then crying in front of him. It was unprofessional, it sounds ridiculous since I'm his sister. Geez, I'm pretty sure I looked like a crazy person.

After a few minutes passed he replied 'yeah, what's up?'  I waited a bit before texting back, maybe he woke up from the notification and was just being nice by replying. I have to go over and apologize or else I won't be able to sleep.

'I'm coming over.' I texted back and he replied quicker this time 'the door will be unlocked.'

I grabbed my phone and my room key before heading out. I had to be mature and apologize, we're not children anymore and I shouldn't of had a fit. Why would he bring up the king stuff anyways?

More importantly, why would Mal tell him? I never thought she would say something, god now I'm even more embarrassed. I ranted about how I wanted to be queen, which is like such a stupid thing to rant about.

But, I mean, imagine me as queen, with Evie as my girlfriend. Well, eventually she would be a queen too. Then she'd get to be queen and have a big castle. A life she would want, and one she deserves.

I was down the hall from Ben's room when I heard voices. Who else was up at this time? It was two girls from what I could tell but I didn't stay long enough to find out who they were. Instead, I bolted to Ben's rooms and quickly went inside. I'd rather not get caught and have Fairy Godmother actually get mad at me.

"Bella?" Ben turned on the lamp from his nightstand and looked over at me.  "Hey, what did you want to talk about?" He asked sitting crisscrossed on his bed. Well, no turning back and running away now. I manned up sat across from him on his bed.

"Look, I'm sorry that I kept pushing you to answer me, you're your own person and don't need to explain yourself to me. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did either. It was unprofessional." I looked at my hands to avoid making eye contact. Ben started laughing which did not calm my nerves. 

"Do you even hear yourself? We're family, what do you mean unprofessional. It's perfectly fine to cry in front of people, we all have feelings and I hurt yours. I'm sorry, and I'm also sorry for not being honest with you. Look, do you promise not to tell Mal, or any of the vk's for that matter, what I found out?" He asked and I looked at him suspiciously. "What did you find out?" I asked, and why couldn't I tell Mal or the others? Does it involve them?

"So, I know why I declared my love to Mal on the day of the game, or well what made me do it. Mal gave me a cookie before the game and after eating the cookie, I felt different. I mean I looked at Carlos and I felt like singing his name but Mal caught my attention again. I wasn't being myself since then. Like, I saw myself doing everything I did but in the back of my head, I knew I didn't mean any of it. Then on our date, we went to the Enchanted Lake and I went in for a swim. Well, the love potion from the cookie washed off. I thought about telling Mal that I found out but I didn't want to embarrass her. I mean she went through all that trouble to make me like her, I didn't want to hurt her feelings after making a big scene." Well, that was a lot to take in, to say the least.

"So, you were under a spell? Won't she be even more embarrassed if you tell her you knew she used magic on you and that she tried to get with a gay guy?" I asked him. "Technically she doesn't know I'm gay. Hey, isn't it funny, usually one of your kids ends up being gay but our parents got lucky with two." Ben and I laughed, our parents are in for a surprise. "That's a heart attack waiting to happen." We sat there for a while just being comfortable in the silence once the laughter died down.

"Can I ask you, if you don't mind, how do you really feel about me becoming king?" He asked me and I suddenly felt the room get colder. Are we really going to have this conversation right now?

"Well since you asked, I guess I am a bit jealous. I mean I'm happy for you, of course! I'm sure you'd be a great king, but I just... I have thought out everything I would do as a queen. The changes I would make around here. The people I would help..." I felt my eyes get watery, I had big plans for Auradon and most importantly the Isle of the Lost. I've always wanted to help the children, they deserve a chance to live like we do. From my room at home, or well my old room, I could see the Isle and I always felt drawn to it. I say old room because my parents moved me out of there after I cried because I wanted to visit the Isle, yeah the stories they told me about the Isle never scared me. 

"Woah, I guess you would make a better ruler than me." Ben no

"Shut up, you're literally prince perfect. You're going to do great, I promise! And with a sister like me, I will make it my duty to help you lead Auradon." I can't prevent him from becoming king but I can help him be a great king. "Yeah, I'd like that." Silence filled the room again as we didn't really know what to say afterward, I guess it's been a while since we've sat down and talked.

"Hey, so do you like Evie? Because Jay and Carlos seem to think so." Ben asked suddenly and I heard myself let out a squeal. "Is it that obvious?" I asked. I mean I can trust Ben, he's not going to tell Evie what I tell him, I hope. "Apparently."  Does Evie know?!

"I could see you guys as a couple."
"Shut up!"
"You'll make her princess Evie, seems fitting."
"Ben stop!"
"Would you take her last name or would she take yours?"
"Ben I swear-"
"Princess Evie of Auradon."
"I'm going to punch you."
"Princess Evie Florian of Auradon"
"Ben!"
"Princess Bella Florian and her wife, princess Evie Grimhilde."

I felt my face get redder as he continued to tease me, I swear I'll get him back for this. "That's it, I'm leaving," I got up and headed towards the door,  Ben didn't stop though.

I was opening the door when he said,

"Goodnight Mrs. Grimhilde!"

[Word Count: 1191]
[Edited: June 9th, 2020]